[AppleTV2] (Nightly) Crash on Apple Remote Menu button hold
Hi guys,

Just wanted to report a reproducible problem on the XBMC main screen (when you first start xbmc). Basically if you hold menu on the remote for 2-3 seconds, XBMC will crash you back to the AppleTV2 landing/home screen.

ATV2: iOS 4.3 / 8F455 (2557)
xbmc: [Nightly] Built on Oct 13 2011 (Git:20111013-21de7b8)
...........Installed via: apt-get (stable), then wget

Steps to recreate:
  1. Launch XBMC
  2. "Videos" menu item should be selected by default in XBMC
  3. Hold down menu button on Apple Remote for 2-3 seconds (until xbmc crashes)

I did this both on the "Videos" and the "Pictures" - I have a feeling it will probably do it for all of them though (happy to test more if necessary). This was also occurring in the Oct 9 2011 build I was running before, but updated to newest nightly to confirm still occurring.

Logs:
[xbmc.log] http://pastebin.com/PgLqgp6x - Crash from Videos menu item
[xbmc.log] http://pastebin.com/rph8TPAh - Crash from Pictures menu item

Cheers!
lol...welcome to the forums. The "bug" you described is actually a feature Smile But well-done on the bug report...if you run into any actual bugs, that's the way to report 'em!
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Ahh really? Sorry about that.

Any way to disable the "feature"? Or maybe throw up a dialog like, "XBMC will quit in 3..2..1"?

Mods: Any way we can turn this "bug" into a feature request?
dronezero Wrote:Ahh really? Sorry about that.

Any way to disable the "feature"? Or maybe throw up a dialog like, "XBMC will quit in 3..2..1"?

No worries...glad to know people are paying attention Smile

There's no way to disable the feature, and there likely won't be a dialog. It's just a well-known feature of XBMC--really the most convenient way to reboot.

Is there a particular reason that you need to disable it? I can't think of anything that requires the menu button to be held down at the main menu screen (other than to reboot).
No particular reason other than the fact that it doesn't really feel like a feature when you don't know it exists. I.e. If there were some indication to the user it would probably avoid all doubt. I've been using xbmc for years both on the Mac, ATV2 and Xbox and I didn't know about this "feature" so it's probably fair to say quite a few other people (especially newcomers to xbmc) wouldn't either.

I'm probably going to get booed off my little soapbox having just got on, but it seems like this is a feature for developers / power users - so if it were made an option in advancedsettings.xml or some such that was off by default it might make for a more pleasant user experience. I.e. Users will never think holding down the menu button will crash xbmc, power users / devs can still do a fast quit when they want to.

This may be completely out of whack with the project, but this is one of those things that would make me not want to give my parents an AppleTV2 with XBMC because I know they do things like hold down buttons for longer than they should.
I hear you, and I sympathize. In fact, to some degree I agree with what you say.

dronezero Wrote:This may be completely out of whack with the project, but this is one of those things that would make me not want to give my parents an AppleTV2 with XBMC because I know they do things like hold down buttons for longer than they should.

The thing about this, though, is that if someone is the type of person to hold down buttons for longer than they should, then they're going to run into many, many more problems with XBMC other than just the ATV2 rebooting. That's just the nature of the beast.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing some kind of default "off" and ability to turn it "on" in advanced settings. Or even just a toggle in the normal Settings window to allow people to turn off the menu button reboot. But I think the consensus here is that it's a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of all the other issues out there yet to be resolved Smile
canadave Wrote:I hear you, and I sympathize. In fact, to some degree I agree with what you say.

The thing about this, though, is that if someone is the type of person to hold down buttons for longer than they should, then they're going to run into many, many more problems with XBMC other than just the ATV2 rebooting. That's just the nature of the beast.

I know what you mean - but have to start somewhere, right?

canadave Wrote:I personally wouldn't mind seeing some kind of default "off" and ability to turn it "on" in advanced settings. Or even just a toggle in the normal Settings window to allow people to turn off the menu button reboot. But I think the consensus here is that it's a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of all the other issues out there yet to be resolved Smile

How do we move forward figuring out if this is something that would be considered? I'm happy to do the legwork- but I don't know where to begin and don't really want to piss the whole dev team off on my first day in the forums.

The feedback is much appreciated though - learning already!
dronezero Wrote:How do we move forward figuring out if this is something that would be considered? I'm happy to do the legwork- but I don't know where to begin and don't really want to piss the whole dev team off on my first day in the forums.

The feedback is much appreciated though - learning already!

I think your request to a mod to turn this into a feature request is a good start--hopefully a mod will come along and move it to the appropriate forum. If you look at the parent forums to this one, you'll see there's a "Features and Suggestions" subforum. You'll also see which other forums are available for other types of posts.
Cool - I didn't know you could quit XBMC like that! Thanks.
DLeavy Wrote:Cool - I didn't know you could quit XBMC like that! Thanks.

ymmd ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'd rather have the shutdown menu back. However, you can change the keymap so that holding down menu will not quit XBMC.
I have to switch between Netflix and XBMC frequently. So this actually is a great feature for me. Would really be pissed if this were removed.
newatv2user Wrote:I have to switch between Netflix and XBMC frequently. So this actually is a great feature for me. Would really be pissed if this were removed.

Keymap can be configured to shut down directly even if the shutdown menu was added back in, and even if it wasn't possible it would only be a second click to exit XBMC.
I got tired of quitting XBMC like that so I editted my keymap and put "Now playing" to show up when Menu is held
ATV2 4.3 8F455 Seas0npassed / XBMC 11
Samsung HT-P70 5.1 / Samsung WS-32Z419P
dronezero,
Like others have said. It's a default feature. One which I use a lot.

However, you can remap that action to anything else you'd like. Just do a search for how to edit your keymap file. It'll open up a whole new world of remote button customization for you. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] (Nightly) Crash on Apple Remote Menu button hold0