Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System
Balinus Wrote:What do people think iof the Onkyo Ht-S3400 ? For 400$.
If you have room for separate AVR, subwoofer and 5 surround sound speakers, it should be good. You shouldn't have to pay $400 for it either, it's $299 shipped from Buy.com.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:If you have room for separate AVR, subwoofer and 5 surround sound speakers, it should be good. You shouldn't have to pay $400 for it either, it's $299 shipped from Buy.com.

Thanks for the input. Smile

Sadly, prices in the US for electronics like HDTV, Receives, etc are like 50% of the prices we get here in Canada. Usually, no online stores is shipping to Canada due to legal restrictions imposed by manufacturers.

For example, the usual price of the combo HT-S3400 in Canada is about 480-500$.
Balinus Wrote:Thanks for the input. Smile

Sadly, prices in the US for electronics like HDTV, Receives, etc are like 50% of the prices we get here in Canada. Usually, no online stores is shipping to Canada due to legal restrictions imposed by manufacturers.

For example, the usual price of the combo HT-S3400 in Canada is about 480-500$.
Man, I feel your pain! If you live in Toronto, it's jut a little more than an hour drive away from Buffalo, NY. It might be cheaper in Buffalo.
bluray Wrote:Man, I feel your pain! If you live in Toronto, it's jut a little more than an hour drive away from Buffalo, NY. It might be cheaper in Buffalo.

I live in Montreal. Plattsburgh is only a 1h30 drive. Hard to not pay duty taxes though on a complete A/V receiver + speakers though! Sad
Balinus Wrote:I live in Montreal. Plattsburgh is only a 1h30 drive. Hard to not pay duty taxes though on a complete A/V receiver + speakers though! Sad
They must have taxed you to death in CA or something for it to cost so much more there than the other side of the boarder (U.S)! Sad
bluray Wrote:They must have taxed you to death in CA or something for it to cost so much more there than the other side of the boarder (U.S)! Sad

Yeah, probably taxes! I'll be patient though.

I'm looking now a standalone receiver, like the Pioneer VSX-821 or the Onkyo Tx-NR509. We'll see in the next months how low they can get.
Balinus Wrote:Yeah, probably taxes! I'll be patient though.

I'm looking now a standalone receiver, like the Pioneer VSX-821 or the Onkyo Tx-NR509. We'll see in the next months how low they can get.
They need to shrink the government there so they don't have to tax you guys too much.

The Onkyo TX-NR509 should be good...and I hope that they drop the price soon. Smile
Before buying Onkyo HTX 22HDX ultra compact HD home theatres, it is highly recommended to see home theatres systems review from some online sites.
(2012-04-16, 11:35)allenmark Wrote: Before buying Onkyo HTX 22HDX ultra compact HD home theatres, it is highly recommended to see home theatres systems review from some online sites.
I preferred user review than anything else, and there are plenty of user reviews on Amazon........

I have the previous model (HTX 22HD) and can honestly say, that unless you are a complete audiophile there is absolutely nothing wrong with this (or the older) system.

A friend has a Q-Acoustics setup that cost 3 times as much, and it is very difficult to notice any great difference in sound quality.

A major part of any sound setup (obviously) is more to do with how and where you setup the speakers etc.

This system has multiple hdmi and optical inputs, good quality and levels of sound, and (obviously according to taste) looks good and is unobtrusive. Not everyone wants great overbearing speakers in thier front room, so this fits the bill well imo.
I may be resurrecting a Zombie thread, but I have to chime. IMHO, any $50 Craigslist DD/DTS capable AVR along with Monoprice 6.5" speakers and 12" subwoofer, are going to sound far superior to ANY of these mini systems even with DTS-HD and TrueHD decoding... and for $50 less. For just $20 more than this Onkyo mini-system you could pick up a refurb Onkyo RC330 AVR instead of a Craigslist speacial along with the same Monoprice speakers/sub and still have True-HD and DTS-HD decoding... and still have a far better sounding system.

The elimination of the AVR to save space and aesthetics of the slim speakers are the ONLY reasons I can see for considering this type of system. I'm not saying it's not a valid compromise to make if it's you're priority... it's just not a compromise I would make.

Even on extremely high-end audio systems it is extremely difficult to perceive the difference in properly encoded and equally mixed DD/DTS compared to TrueHD/DTS-HD. I can't imagine it even remotely possible to do so on such low-end equipment. For anyone interested in quality audio, PLEASE focus on your equipment, placement, and room treatment before you even consider spending ANY money to get the latest audio decoding formats.
The two big differences I noticed between DD/DTS and True-HD/DTS-HD on my Onkyo TX-SR605 (part of a HTiB) is the center channel (better voice clarity) and the (I am not sure the terminology) feeling of space/dimension to the sound. I expected to not notice much difference but I definitely do.
Do you have a BD player capable of manually outputting both DTS-HD and DTS Core of the same sountrack? I'd be really interested if you hear the same differences between HD and Core on the same track/mix. Just as was the case going back to comparisons of DD vs. Hi Bitrare DTS, the DTS track was often cooked or otherwise mixed differently than the DD track leading people to attribute differences to the Codec or Bitrate that were really differences in the mix... Saving Private Ryan and Jurassic Park were prime examples of this back in the day.
I think MPC-HC will allow you to pick the soundtrack. I can give that a try.
I too am one of those who think that people wouldn't notice if dts or dts-hd is being played.. and of course not with that kind of plastic speakers! Of course being the same mix

But hey, know what? I couldn't care less about those hd audio tracks, as the spanish track will often only be dolby.. not even dts at higher bitrates. If I had to refuse watching a movie because no hd audio I would never watch any movie!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System0