Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System
ghart999 Wrote:Ah so a 6 ohm amp can drive 8 ohms speakersHuh Excellent. Wish I could find a 3 channel setup to avoid the overpay on the 2 extras.
Yes, you'll be fine. You're not over pay for the 5 Polk speakers. It'll be much cheaper than 3 Onkyo speakers. You'll enjoy it. Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I might just pick up those Polks. I wonder if I should even use the Onkyo frontsHuh
ghart999 Wrote:I might just pick up those Polks. I wonder if I should even use the Onkyo frontsHuh
Why not? It is built for 2.1 system with those two front speakers, but you can add 3 more Polk speaker to make it a 5.1 system. You'll have two Polk speakers for spare! Smile
I guess I will try both sets...
I have this in 5.1 setup, and as my first 5.1 system, I'm impressed with the quality. Its a good 'budget' system, that most regular home movie viewers will fine more than covers what they need.

For those that build dedicated rooms, fit sound boards etc may not.

So for a good 98% of people, this system is pretty great.
Cool. I think I will get it.
t2ffn Wrote:I have this in 5.1 setup, and as my first 5.1 system, I'm impressed with the quality. Its a good 'budget' system, that most regular home movie viewers will fine more than covers what they need.

For those that build dedicated rooms, fit sound boards etc may not.

So for a good 98% of people, this system is pretty great.

Yep i totally agree, I have the 5.1 setup also and for normal home use its brilliant. Audiophiles may think otherwise but the average user will love the sound quality.

Honestly its an excellent choice

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
First I have to order four 10' HDMI cables since my existing 6' cables won't be long enough to reach the sub. Such a pain to have hour 6' cables laying around with nothing to do.

Damn Harry, you have a hell of a media setup at your place.
ghart999 Wrote:First I have to order four 10' HDMI cables since my existing 6' cables won't be long enough to reach the sub. Such a pain to have hour 6' cables laying around with nothing to do.

Damn Harry, you have a hell of a media setup at your place.
When you start on HTPC and home theater hobby, you'll addicted to it too. Big Grin I'm now swam with 3 HTPC's, 3 HDTV's, 3 surround sound systems, 3 laptops, etc in the house. It's less expensive than my automobile hobby, and it is all fun and joy though! Smile

As for HDMI cable, these $8 shipped will do fine- BlueRigger High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet (10 Feet) - Supports 3D and Audio Return [Latest Version].
bluray Wrote:Yes, you'll be fine. You're not over pay for the 5 Polk speakers. It'll be much cheaper than 3 Onkyo speakers. You'll enjoy it. Smile

i would not risk it. Talk to Onkyo about it. The system is designed for 6 ohms. Most dedicated amps can handle various impedance. The output power also varies accordly. So on a amp 4ohms could be 100W but using 8ohms will only give you 75W.

Talk to Onkyo. It could invalidate your warrenty!
djashjones Wrote:i would not risk it. Talk to Onkyo about it. The system is designed for 6 ohms. Most dedicated amps can handle various impedance. The output power also varies accordly. So on a amp 4ohms could be 100W but using 8ohms will only give you 75W.

Talk to Onkyo. It could invalidate your warrenty!
It's should be fine for 6 ohm to 8 ohm speakers but you just don't have as much power (volume may be lower) as the 6 ohm. An AVR designed to deliver maximum output to a 6 ohm load can safely drive an 8 ohm one. But it will not be able to maximize its maximum power.

I installed a similar speakers to this in my previous home for 5 years, and the AVR and speakers fine.
I still lol @ 2.1 dts-hd/truehd.
Its like putting a 600hp engine on a go-kart tranny.
hick Wrote:I still lol @ 2.1 dts-hd/truehd.
Its like putting a 600hp engine on a go-kart tranny.
Well, if you have a go-kart you shouldn't need 600HP engine in it then. If you have a tiny den or study room or bedroom, the 2.1 surround sound system make sense. With DTS-HD/TrueHD capable AVR, it give you the ability to bitstream and decode it. Whenever you need 5.1, you can simply connect 3 more speakers to it! Smile
I'm quite happy with this system. I needed something not too expensive and as space saving as possible, so having the subwoofer and the AVR in one pice was most convenient. I use the provided speakers as rear speakers -well, not currently, have to rewire stuff in that room- and Q Acoustics 2010 and 2000c for the front / center. I'm pretty happy with the price / quality / space usage relationship.
What do people think iof the Onkyo Ht-S3400 ? For 400$.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System0