XBMC won't load "dwmapi.dll" fatal error
Hello,

I'm on Windows XP and my XBMC.exe wont load on account of an apparent fatal error saying "can't load dwmapi.dll, exiting". I've searched around for a solution and tried a few things like downloading the DLL file to the system32 or the XBMC folder but that hasn't worked. Anything help?

cheers:confused2:
P.S. it use to work no problem, but then this just started happening.
As I recall this is usually a problem with the C runtime library. It affects XBMC only because XBMC uses the C runtime library, XBMC doesn't use dwmapi.dll directly.

It's something to do with the .Net libraries. If you've recently done a Windows update this may explain why the problem suddenly appeared. Have a Google and see if you can spot any things to try. It's hard for me to comment further unless I can reproduce the error.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:XBMC doesn't use dwmapi.dll directly.

XBMC does use this library as we're linking directly to it. Can't remember why we need it but it wasn't changed a long time
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WiSo Wrote:XBMC does use this library as we're linking directly to it. Can't remember why we need it but it wasn't changed a long time

Really?! It's only available on Vista+ (Aero related functions, and new desktop composition)
AndroIRC - Best IRC client for Android!
weird. I found it in the project file but dunno when it got added (maybe git log will tell)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Now it gets interesting. The dll is needed for DwmIsCompositionEnabled in CSysInfo::IsAeroDisabled() and was added on the 13.11.2009 (if git log is correct).
Since msdn says its vista and up why did nobody on XP complained earlier?
I assume since the dll is delayed loaded it is only called on Vista and up. Somehow the XP of the OP isn't reporting the right version and therefore tries to load the dll Huh
It is delay-loaded but the test is good only for XP. So if for some reason, xbmc was run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode, guess what happens Smile

needhelp, turn off the compatibility mode on xbmc.exe and things should go back to normal.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC won't load "dwmapi.dll" fatal error0