remember stopping position with NFS and uPnP (like for SMB)
Hello all,
I stream videos from my NAS to ATV2 with XBMC.

Now I use uPnP cause I read it works better (than SMB) for streaming MKV-videos with a Synology NAS.

Now my PROBLEM:
When I want to continue watching a video, at the same point of time I stopped it the last time, XBMC doesn't remember it and always starts again from the beginning. With the SMB Share it always continued at the latest stop.
Is there any solution to also remember the latest stop with NFS or uPnP?

Additionally I have a problem with steaming MKV-videos (AVI works without any problem).
In unregular intervals the stream starts buffering an sometimes goes back to the main menu. (But it though works better than with the SMB)

Has anybody an idea for the reason?
I hope to receive some feedback!

This is my configuration:
NAS: Synology 211j
HTPC: ATV2
XBMC with nightly build 01-Oct-2011 11:14 (xbmc-20110930-2138fb0-master-atv2.deb)

Thx in advance for your help!
please, I just edited my description for the sake of clarification.
Could anybody help me?
Thx in advance!
Do those protocols suppport resuming? Or is it XBMC which doesn't support this?
Robotica Wrote:Do those protocols suppport resuming? Or is it XBMC which doesn't support this?

Honestly I'm not sure, I just expected that it should be possible as it is the case for SMB.
Maybe the developers could help.
Isn't UPNP a dynamic connection therefore doesn't work that well with XBMC?

If u want a stable fast connection either use FTP or NFS if u are running a nightly release...

As per sig, i'm running FTP on 2 ATV 2's with shared SQL and the remember where I was works great between the 2...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
pause the movie before quitting xbmc ... this should remember the position in 100% use cases. Also remember that it saves the position only if you have watched at least the first 5 mins (or first 5% - can't remember).

This works and is totally independend from used protocol...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
in my case it still doesn#T work with uPnP, even if I stop before switching back to the main menu it doesn't remember thr last position
nsviper Wrote:Isn't UPNP a dynamic connection therefore doesn't work that well with XBMC?

If u want a stable fast connection either use FTP or NFS if u are running a nightly release...

As per sig, i'm running FTP on 2 ATV 2's with shared SQL and the remember where I was works great between the 2...

Maybe a stupid question but how is it possible to add a FTP share in XBMC?
It is not a tabeled possibility for adding a new share.
fploink Wrote:Maybe a stupid question but how is it possible to add a FTP share in XBMC?
It is not a tabeled possibility for adding a new share.

It is there if you look hard enough. In the list of connection type there is a generic one that you can specify what protocol to use in a dropdown. There is also a scrollbar on the list. (working from memory here)

I think the problem you are having with remembering the position of playback is because you are using upnp. As nsviper said, the connection xbmc gets to the from the upnp server is unique each time it is accessed. This makes it impossible to catalogue the files. UPNP is great for speed but you cannot add media to the library with it. If it is not in the library database there is nowhere for it to store the current position.

For the synology I would suggest using ftp, smb or if you are feeling particularly masochistic - nfs. All of these can be added to the library and you will start getting the real benefits of having xbmc.
g-off Wrote:It is there if you look hard enough. In the list of connection type there is a generic one that you can specify what protocol to use in a dropdown. There is also a scrollbar on the list. (working from memory here)

I think the problem you are having with remembering the position of playback is because you are using upnp. As nsviper said, the connection xbmc gets to the from the upnp server is unique each time it is accessed. This makes it impossible to catalogue the files. UPNP is great for speed but you cannot add media to the library with it. If it is not in the library database there is nowhere for it to store the current position.

For the synology I would suggest using ftp, smb or if you are feeling particularly masochistic - nfs. All of these can be added to the library and you will start getting the real benefits of having xbmc.

Thx a lot for the explanation once again back to installing the FTP share in XBMC:

If I choose "Add network location" and for the protocol: FTP server
I also have to fill in the "Server adress, remote path, as well as username and password".

I'm not quite sure about the right format what to fill in:
Please correct or complement!

Server adress: ftp://IP adress/Synology folder name
Remote path: I have no idea?
Port: automatically "21" Is this right?
username: general login for my NAS? wasn't necessary for SMB or others
password

Thx a lot for your help!!
don't worry about slashes colons or any of that jazz. The dialog will put that stuff in.

Server address is just the ip
remote path where in the ftp server you want to start from - try leaving it blank
port 21 normally
username and password depends on how you have configured ftp on your nas.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remember stopping position with NFS and uPnP (like for SMB)0