Apple remote starts both XBMC and iTunes after 10.7.2 update
After updating to OSX 10.7.2, my Apple remote _sometimes_ starts iTunes, in addition to XBMC.

It still starts XBMC fine and all controls works, but when I start a movie by pressing play, a song in iTunes also starts playing! Also up and down on the remote also change the sound volume in OSX.

Anyone else see this problem or have a workaround?
iTunes -> Preferences -> Devices

Should be something about remotes there. Possibly a "Forget All Remotes" button?
I had some issues and solved it with uninstalling candelair. After that problem was up/down on remote used to volume up/down. That I solved with disable remote, quit xbmc, start xbmc, quit xbmc, start xbmc, enable remote :-)
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Thanks pecinko, that solved it for me too.

So I guess when iTunes was updated it took back control over the remote, and doing that disable/enable thing took it back to XBMC.

Buadhai, The "Forget all remotes" button in iTunes is greyed for me (Also says not paired with any remotes). I have never seen this enabled. I don't know what this is for, only other types of remotes, not the Apple remote?
Hi,

I have the same problem. I thould it was solved but after a few hours (the mini was a sleep) i turned it back on and the problem was back. So when the mac is in sleep mode the problem comes back.

I don't won't to have my mac on 24/7 so what can i do?

Thnx!
You could try to quit xbmc before it goes to sleep and start it up later with menu button. I ended up doing that becase I can hear the sound after sleep but TV remains blank.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:You could try to quit xbmc before it goes to sleep and start it up later with menu button. I ended up doing that becase I can hear the sound after sleep but TV remains blank.

I tried this but the problem stays. I have no other choice than leave the mac on 24/7 but make xbmc put the powersaving mode on..
This problem is still present in Eden Beta 1.

The fix with disable remote, quit, start, enable remote, quit, start, works. But after a while (I see no pattern in it, but sleep of the mac might trigger it) the OS "reclaims" control of the remote.

When this happens, pressing play on the remote starts iTunes. Pressing up/down on the remote changes the volume.
Ah, just what I was wondering about after installing XBMC on my new Mini, finding the remote suddenly adjust the volume by pressing up/down button when resuming from standby. Having similar problems with Plex as well when resuming from standby.

Edit: There is a small tweak disabling the iTunes mediakeys called MMfix and is supposedly found here: http://nomitsu-kronos.hd.free.fr/downloa...file=mmfix

The french site hosting the MMfix is unavailable, but I got version 2.0 from Mediafire (MMfix.dmg by Google search).
The iTunes does not Play/pause any longer, but the volume changes when pressing up/down on the remote.

I did try the Candelair from Remote Buddy and it does prevent the volume to change, but it also prevents the Mini from waking up without pressing the physical button on the back of the Mini.

It "sometimes" helps to uncheck the remote always running within the Plex preferences menu.

Laika 0.9.5.2 and Eden beta 1
OSX 10.7.2
mid 2011 Mini and keyboard, and Harmony One remote.
Any decent solution to this? Remote also changes volume up/down here.
I have verified that when the mac goes to sleep (I close the lid etc), and when I wake it up again, Lion takes over control of the remote.

Button presses still reach XBMC but they take effect in the OS first, starting iTunes, changing volume, etc.

A reboot is the only workaround I have found, but its not very good since I use a MacBook Pro and use it in "clamshell" mode and connect it to our TV. i.e. it falls asleep every time I close the lid (as it should).
The best solution might be to have a script re-enabling or disable - enable the IR within XBMC as it seems like 10.7.2 reloads or reclaims the event server on port 9777 after a wakeup.

You can do this manually by clicking disabled remote, then enabled within the preferences menu in XBMC. It is not exactly "decent" as it require more than a remote.

I am not a script expert, but would not something like a this script be a solution?

#!/bin/sh

# This script uses curl. Install curl using the following command from your terminal apt-get install curl
# This script will restart (ADD YOUR DEVICE NAME HERE WHEN FINISHED), Lirc, and XBMC upon resume.
case "$1" in
resume)
curl "http://127.0.0.1:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=LIRC.Stop"

/etc/init.d/lirc restart
curl "http://127.0.0.1:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=LIRC.Start"
echo "lirc resume script completed!!!" >>/tmp/script.log
;;
double
triple
10.7.2 seems to have broken that handling. Nothing we can do. Roll back to an OSX version that is not broke if you MUST have this ability.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple remote starts both XBMC and iTunes after 10.7.2 update0