Virus Protection what do you use?
That's what I thought. I don't download, and the media that I download and store on my nas only comes from "trusted" sources, such as NZB Matrix. No torrent, no p2p, etc. The only stuff that is directly downloaded to the HTPC is microsoft and ATI-driver updates - trusted sources - so, no AV on the HTPC then.

Other question, AV on a Nas in the above described scenario (I really only use NZBMatrix and NZBs R Us for downloading): necessary or not?
TV: Panasonic L32E5
AVR: Panasonic BTT282
HTPC: Antec Fusion 430 Silver - Antec Earthwatts EA-500D Green - Asrock A75M-HVS - AMD A8-3870K - Scythe Ninja Rev. B - Kingston 2x4 GB 1866Mhz - Crucial M4 SSD 64GB - OS: Windows 8 x64
REMOTE: Logitech Harmony 555
STORAGE: Synology DS211 [2TB]
GAMING: PS3 Classic 80GB
Depends on the NAS, but normally no. NASs don't have much of an OS and aren't really what virus writers would target. You're more at risk of a infected file being transferred from one system to another via a file stored on the NAS than the NAS becoming infected directly.
I use Avast and have for 10 years, but I have been hit once by a very virulent viri, wiped out 3 installs... but was guided by Avast support forums. It's one of the few free products and for the most part works and they're usually ahead of the game and I don't ignore warnings anymore.
(2012-09-29, 18:37)TugboatBill Wrote: Depends on the NAS, but normally no. NASs don't have much of an OS and aren't really what virus writers would target. You're more at risk of a infected file being transferred from one system to another via a file stored on the NAS than the NAS becoming infected directly.

It's a Synology. I believe it runs on a version of Linux.
TV: Panasonic L32E5
AVR: Panasonic BTT282
HTPC: Antec Fusion 430 Silver - Antec Earthwatts EA-500D Green - Asrock A75M-HVS - AMD A8-3870K - Scythe Ninja Rev. B - Kingston 2x4 GB 1866Mhz - Crucial M4 SSD 64GB - OS: Windows 8 x64
REMOTE: Logitech Harmony 555
STORAGE: Synology DS211 [2TB]
GAMING: PS3 Classic 80GB
^ if possible, you can install clam-av. it was designed to scan your email server for microsoft documents recieved as attachments (although they wont infect your server, it prevents you from passing them along to other ms pc's).
I've been using Comodo AV and FW for years now beginning to think maybe i should change as no mention of them here, no idea if there any good now but have had zero issues with either.
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It may be hard but the challenge of learning something new is fun :-)
fbi moneypak virus / ASUS Eee Box EBXB202-BLK-X0081 factory restore:

hi, i think my dad got this virus and he is unable to access the internet (even tried safe mode with networking). and avg link scanner wont scan for some reason.

how does one either manually remove this virus on win-xp or factory reset this pc ?

thanks,
Kaspersky is one of the best so long as you're connected to the 'net. Most of the biggies work less well standalone these days. Most of the American AV are behind the curve but running something Chinese or Russian is a little creepy too. MSE is just okay.

Linux vs Microsoft? I giggle at the debate as the Linux guys think they have the high ground. Microsoft has seriously beefed Windows. Win8 even more so especially if you use their dev environment and flip the switches. OSX is another one in a glass house ;-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virus Protection what do you use?0