Rip DVD-Video to harddrive directly from XBMC (perhaps copy parts of DVD2Xbox code?)?
pre1014 Wrote:A HUGE thing with this is that the solution (to be included in the svn) would have to work on ALL platforms. This would be a huge NO to integrating dvd2xbox code since it wouldn't really work in windows/osx/linux.
First of all, the idea of using the dvd2xbox code as a base was only a suggestion, not a requirement. Secondly, why would the 'backend' code from DVD2Xbox not be portable to windows/mac/linux? Is there is a problem with porting the GUI from it then just use XBMC's libgui, which should be used in any case, just look into the actually 'ripping' code.

Huh

pre1014 Wrote:Actually, a while back they said there was no chance of this happening because they didn't want to deal with the MPAA and lawsuits.
Who said what? Please refrain from posting such statements unless you can back them up with a reference.

In most countries "Fair Use" laws are in place to allow the users to make a copy of digital media for personal use. If these "Fair Use" laws where not in place Audio-CD to MP3 ripping for playback on portable media players would be dead a long time ago. I do not see why DVD-Videos should be treated differently than Audio-CDs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

What could be done to get around the MPAA is not decrypt the CCS encryption when ripping DVD-Video with XBMC, that way it would at least not be possible to burn copies of the ripped DVDs to use in other players. Since XBMC contains a DeCSS library it would still be able playback those ripped DVDs even though they they where still encrypted with CSS to protect them, ...that is basically what Kaleidescape does (though I believe that they also apply their own encryption on top of CSS for extra DRM protection):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleidescape
Quote:Fair Use

In 2004, the consortium behind digital video disc technology, the DVD Copy Control Association, sued Kaleidescape over its "jukebox" technology, in an attempt to stop the company from allowing its customers to rip, store, and stream video from DVD sources. The case was considered by some to be an important recent test of fair use precedent, given advancements in technology and the digital media rights field. In 2007, the company won the case[8]. The case is currently under appeal.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I agree with the points you are making about copying dvds's, however if you can implement this and still keep the css then that should keep everyone happy, I for one hope that this will happen, and let me take this oppertunity, to say thanks for a great programme, which is by far is the best I have ever used.
Keep up the good work, and hope to see this feature in the not to distant future

Paul
I made a such a script for xbmc .....
...and you are willing to share Smile
Look here :

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52166

THIS SCRIPT DO NOT TOUCH LIBDVDCSS

All copy protection on the dvd (dvdcss) remains intact ...

therefore the script is allowed in my country ....

If I would use libdvdcss to extract chapters and more it would be illegal ....

Greetings from switzerland
Hans
Question 
Is there any plugins that will rip a DVD to a folder, all within the XBMC HUI? It wouldn't need to break the protection on copyrighted DVDs... it would just be cool to be able to pop in a DVD and rip it straight to the library...

Is there any?
Not at the moment, but you can use dvd 2 xbox which has a pm3 skin.
yeah, a quick search returns:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52166
i hope something like this comes out for the xbox soon im getting sick of the 700mb file downloading now that i have a larger hdd i wanna rip the entire dvd onto the hdd and when i click on it its just like i put a dvd into the tray
Hypothetically speaking, this shell script in Linux would fairly straightforward.

use volname to determine the name on the dvd (NAME=`volname /dev/dvd`)
set output directory (OUTDIR=/opt/xbmcmedia/iso)
use dd to rip the dvd (dd if=/dev/dvd of=$(OUTDIR)/$(NAME).iso
eject the disk (eject /dev/dvd)

This performs a rather nice process. The shell program could them be integrated into the volume management of the desktop interface (using Thunar if XFCE were used: thunar-volman) to run the script each time a disk was spotted by the OS.

If you wanted to transcode, you could use something like task spooler (http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/soft/ts/) to queue up the transcode tasks. I would suggest setting the maximum simultaneous jobs to 1 and running nice on the transcoding jobs. This would change the script described above by adding a few extra steps:

set the simultaneous tasks to 1 (ts -S 1)
set the final directory (FINALDIR=/opt/xbmcmedia/mp4)
run the transcode at some kind level so the system still responds (ts nice HandBrakeCLI ... -f mp4 -o $(FINALDIR)/$(NAME).mp4)

This would allow you to pop a dvd in, have it automatically ripped and ejected, and ready for the next dvd. The transcoding would occur in the background. You could check on it with ts (for a list of jobs) or ts -t (for the output of the currently running job). After they were done you could verify them and move them into the right directory.

Hypothetically speaking, it is a short bash script comprised of readily available pieces...
I used dd if=/dev/dvd of=###.iso for a movie and it worked great \9slthough it takes about 30 mins and there isnt a progress dialog.

BUT

for other movies it wont work - Im thinking its due the to newer CSS / copy protection.

just get an error and a ~2 meg file is created...

gonna try the Lemuel addin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rip DVD-Video to harddrive directly from XBMC (perhaps copy parts of DVD2Xbox code?)?0