Dual Core A5 Chip - Anyone with an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4S?
Can it play 720p Xvid AVIs without stuttering? I'd like to know what the future prospects are for the next Apple TV model. Thanks.
Yes it can. It plays also 1080p. Tested on ipad2.
That's great news, but are you sure you tested xvid and not h264?
hmmm maybe I´m wrong but I think that current Apple TV 2 and others A4 devices can to play XVID 720p smoothly, A5 should be even more capable.

Can you post some link with a XVID 720p file? Here it´s not popular that codec for HD, but I think I saw some content so in the past.
Juan_Garcia Wrote:hmmm maybe I´m wrong but I think that current Apple TV 2 and others A4 devices can to play XVID 720p smoothly

Wrong.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Juan_Garcia Wrote:hmmm maybe I´m wrong but I think that current Apple TV 2 and others A4 devices can to play XVID 720p smoothly, A5 should be even more capable.

Can you post some link with a XVID 720p file? Here it´s not popular that codec for HD, but I think I saw some content so in the past.

Unfortunately Xvid/Divx 720p stutters badly on an ATV2, and this is well reported. Only standard def is watchable with software decoding. HD only works for x264, which is compatible with the hardware decoding.

I'm just very curious to know what the software decoding can do with an A5 chip. I think illiac4 misunderstood the question. While it might be possible for the A5 to handle 720p @ 24fps Xvid, there's no way in hell it can do 1080p with a soft decoder. My Core 2 Duo desktop machine can barely do that.

I do not know of any example I can link you to that would be appropriate here. 720p Xvids have become a bit common lately, and can be found the same places 1080p h264 and 480p Xvids are found.
htpcrelic Wrote:Unfortunately Xvid/Divx 720p stutters badly on an ATV2, and this is well reported. Only standard def is watchable with software decoding. HD only works for x264, which is compatible with the hardware decoding.

I'm just very curious to know what the software decoding can do with an A5 chip. I think illiac4 misunderstood the question. While it might be possible for the A5 to handle 720p @ 24fps Xvid, there's no way in hell it can do 1080p with a soft decoder. My Core 2 Duo desktop machine can barely do that.

I do not know of any example I can link you to that would be appropriate here. 720p Xvids have become a bit common lately, and can be found the same places 1080p h264 and 480p Xvids are found.

Are there Xvid or divx encoded with h.264? I´m sure, I have seen a 720 AVI totally smoothly in Apple TV.
Are there Xvid or divx encoded with h.264?

No, xvid/divx and h.264 are video codecs. You have to choose one.

You can have h.264 or xvid/divx in an AVI or MKV container though.

The codecs encode the content. The container is the packaging for the content.

So you may have seen a 720p h.264 video in an AVI.
There was a big thread on XBMC on the iPad2 back when the iPad2 got it's first jailbreak. I believe that thread has all the details you may be looking for. Such as how wells high def xvid/divx plays. Should be a good indication of an A5 processor in an ATV2 if and when that comes out.
I am interested on this as well and searched the forums, only useful answer I was able to get is:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=830...stcount=11

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dual Core A5 Chip - Anyone with an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4S?0