[AppleTV2] Binary search for videos
I am using XBMC in my AppleTV and I am very satisfied with it. Only thing i'd like to get improved is search logic of my AppleTV remote. Currently it skips 30 seconds with every press but I'd like to see it using binary search instead.

Is this something which could be implemented in the skins or is seacrch basic functionality of the XBMC itself?
You might want to first explain what on earth a binary search has to do with fast forwarding/rewinding.
Ned Scott Wrote:You might want to first explain what on earth a binary search has to do with fast forwarding/rewinding.
OK, sure.

Simple example: I want to find correct position in my video file. Lets assume that position is 275 seconds from start and default skip is 100 seconds.

I press button to jump 100 seconds forward. I notice that playback is not in the required position. I press again forward button and it skips another 100 seconds. I can still see that video is not in correct position. I press third time forward button to skip yet more 100 seconds. Then I can see that I skipped too much. And here is trick I want to use binary search to solve my problem - I press backward button and XBMC should skip 50 seconds back. When I see that video skipped too much backwards then I press forward and XBMC should skip 25 seconds forward.

For example my PVR has similar feature and it's very handy way to skip parts of the video I don't want to watch.
Try using this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Key...Remote.xml
it uses bigstep and littlestep to jump around.
g-off Wrote:Try using this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Key...Remote.xml
it uses bigstep and littlestep to jump around.
Thanks for this. It's better than original but once people get used to have binary search skip everything else feels inconvenient :-)
i would call it intersected search ... and not binary search (which is more about computer science and algorithms) ...

and beside that ... how am i supposed to jump between 2 positions in the movie. This wouldn't be possible ... so at least the intersection should have a timeout where it gets reset to 100secs.

But i think this is more something for the feature request forum - and not ios/atv2 specific...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:i would call it intersected search ... and not binary search (which is more about computer science and algorithms) ...
In the Topfield PVR world it's common to use that name for that functionality. I guess name binary search is used just because it uses that algorithm.

Quote:and beside that ... how am i supposed to jump between 2 positions in the movie. This wouldn't be possible ... so at least the intersection should have a timeout where it gets reset to 100secs.
Correct, it needs timeout, that's how it is implemented in my PVR.

Quote:But i think this is more something for the feature request forum - and not ios/atv2 specific...
Thanks, I'll try there. I am quite new in here XBMC world so I was not sure if this kind of feature should be implemented as a feature, add-on or in the skin. And I don't know what kind of remotes other XBMC platforms have - I just think half-interval search is really good option for AppleTV remote.

Edit: Now I have opened new thread here.
Its not dedicated to remotes. This could be usefull when using the arrow keys on a common keyboard aswell you know? Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That does sound pretty cool, and would be great for remotes like the Apple remote
I have implemented this half-interval / binary skipping as an add-on to Kodi. The add-on is named QuickSkip and it is very similar than what Topfield PVR set-top box had as TAP add-on. Find out more from the following thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...id=2570291

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Binary search for videos0