[DEAL] MSI GT430 (Fermi) $25 AR + shipping
in the back

eskro Wrote:in the back

if it is in the back, should the gpu be mounted back to back of bd-rom? it seem to be crossing bd-rom in the photo!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
It's at the back... you can position the CD drive in either side of the case...
After further testing the MSI GPU... it seems there is a problem. The fan is actually at 100% or maybe 80%... using there tools and even Speed fan or Riva Tuner I can not get the fan to lower it's speed or increase it. I have tried everything. I know for a fact it can do it but no go.

Anyways I hooked up the fan directly to my fan controller and wala! at 40% on my fan controller it's like night and day. And the temps still stay under 40C....
Beer40oz Wrote:I hooked up the fan directly to my fan controller and wala! at 40% on my fan controller it's like night and day. And the temps still stay under 40C....

very good temp!

i think your fan needs a 4pin connector to be able to adjust the speed...
the 4th pin is the control pin...

thats why cpu fans have 4pins i guess Smile
Beer40oz Wrote:Anyways I hooked up the fan directly to my fan controller and wala! at 40% on my fan controller it's like night and day. And the temps still stay under 40C....

Was wondering why you hadn't done that initially. Kool that you got it str8!
so, how silent is it now?
u still hear it?
Well now it's the same as when I had the fanless GPU... pretty weird but good. I had a GPU once with 3 wires and I was able to adjust the speed but it was a ATI. I just played my 1080P test video again and the max was 44c....

I guess it's all good since if it was fanless I will be hitting 75-80C with the test video.

Smile

I will just enjoy it now....

oh and it was fun making my own cable from other cables to connect the gpu fan to the controller.... but came out cherry.
if u got time, make us a small vid of it!
Beer40oz Wrote:Well now it's the same as when I had the fanless GPU... pretty weird but good. I had a GPU once with 3 wires and I was able to adjust the speed but it was a ATI. I just played my 1080P test video again and the max was 44c....

I guess it's all good since if it was fanless I will be hitting 75-80C with the test video.

Smile

I will just enjoy it now....

oh and it was fun making my own cable from other cables to connect the gpu fan to the controller.... but came out cherry.

That same card should be arriving at my door tomorrow.... What exactly did you have to do to hook it up to your fan controller?

Thanks
rob40wilson03 Wrote:That same card should be arriving at my door tomorrow.... What exactly did you have to do to hook it up to your fan controller?

Thanks

Well the GPU card has small pins... I cut off the wire of one fan I had laying around and used that so I can hook it up to my fan controller (it has the 2 pin connection). Spliced the other end and hooked it up to a 2 pin connector (that end to the GPU fan wire). Some electric tape.

But let me know if you can control your fan with the MSI afterburner software. Maybe mine was a dud or maybe I had to change something in the bios?
Well I think I found my answer for the speed control.

"Check the fan cable connector on the GPU board and see if its seated properly. Also check if it has 2/3 or 4 wires. If its 4 wires then it should have PWM controlled fans, which means the fan speeds should vary with temperature changes."

"They may look similar but only have the 3 wire w/ speed detection only and not speed control."

"3-pin: the third pin is for RPM sensor. So, you can control the speed according to this sensor's reading.

4-pin: the fourth pin is for PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). This adds temperature into the monitoring."

So yes I have 3 wires. And yes I could see the RPM on the fan but not control it.
That's a bummer. I guess the fan will adjust itself when the built in temp sensor in the gpu.

But what gets me is that why was I able to control the fan speed on a GPU card by ATI with only 2 wires via ATI catylast?

This got me puzzled.
Beer40oz Wrote:It's at the back... you can position the CD drive in either side of the case...
i see it now, the cd is on the side and the gpu crossing it but it is in the back. by looked at the opened case, it appear that the cd is facing the front.
Beer40oz Wrote:Well now it's the same as when I had the fanless GPU... pretty weird but good. I had a GPU once with 3 wires and I was able to adjust the speed but it was a ATI. I just played my 1080P test video again and the max was 44c....
this is why i never own any fanless gpu, because there is nothing better to cool down heat than heatsink and fan. i work with rf stuffs for more 10 years, and it is the best solution to cool down test circuit!
bluray Wrote:this is why i never own any fanless gpu, because there is nothing better to cool down heat than heatsink and fan. i work with rf stuffs for more 10 years, and it is the best solution to cool down test circuit!

Well answer me this Blu, this may seem like common sense to you, but why worry if my GPU temp gets to 41c/66c as supposed to 29c/41c? Is it because it may prolong the life of the circuit with cooler temps? I felt fanless was important to try and eliminate as much noise as possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DEAL] MSI GT430 (Fermi) $25 AR + shipping0