New HTPC build, lost old system over weekend
With losing my older dual core over the weekend I decided it was time to research a replacement. I currently run Pre-Eden with Aero Nox skin. I would like to have something low power but still able to handle any skin with no problem. After reading through some posts on here I came up with the following.

Mobo: Intel BOXDH67CFB3
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz
Ram: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin

Parts I have from other system:
HTPC ATX Case
SSD 32gb Drive (was going to install in the old system)
Old PSU 500w
Corsair Hydro H60

The questions that I have:

1. What is the difference between the 2.5ghz and the 3.2ghz i3 processor? I see some people buying either or but not sure which difference there is.

2. Any other suggestions on the motherboard?

3. Im going to try the SB GPU to see how it runs and if need be ill upgrade to a Video card.

Graphics card: With this DEAL I may just purchase it and call it a day.
Personally i'd go with the regular i3-2100. The 2100t is supposedly a lower power version however the power is draw is nearly identical when playing back 1080p video.
I noticed the case is ATX, but the motherboard in your list is mini-itx. If you still want a mini-itx motherboard, I would go with this AsRock- ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT LGA 1155. It has nicer bios for tweaking and most likely it included CIR to turn on/off PC too. As far as the CPU go, the extra 700MHz can provide slightly faster GUI but you might not need the 700MHz. You should be fine with 2.5GHz version. For smoother playback, I would go with one of these card- GT430 or HD6450. GT430 for $24 might be a better investment.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I will check out the ASrock board. So it has all the same wake on features as the Intel board? That was a big plus for me. Also I already have the GT430 in my card.

One advantage I see with ASrock is the faster memory choices. 1333mhz is fast I can go with the Intel board.
Any other suggestions out there?
+1 for regular i3-2100, dont pay more for the T version...

i know RAM is cheap but, 8GB is overkill,,,, 4GB is more then enough...

i'd buy that GT430 right away,,, crazy deal,,, jump on it,,,
Thanks for your suggestions..

Already bought everything as I wanted to make sure I got it tomorrow. Newegg comes next day for me as they are only 40 mins away.

8gb - I can always use extra ram to throw into another build later.

i3 was a lower wattage so im happy with that.

GT430 bought and waiting.

Next upgrade for this system would be a new case later on.
fluentdesigns Wrote:I will check out the ASrock board. So it has all the same wake on features as the Intel board? That was a big plus for me. Also I already have the GT430 in my card.
with asrock CIR option, it's not just wakeup feature it can turn on pc from off stage and it can shut off pc completely too. their bios allow you to tweak (set to your desired voltage) for better performance too.
Awesome this is going to be a significance update from my old dual core. It was running off old HDD and I would have to shut it down every night because it wasn't sleeping correctly and waking up randomly. I also had one of those HUGE MS IR receivers sitting on top of my media center too.
Anyone familiar with what the Intel Smart Response Technology does? Will I be able to use it with just one SSD drive?
give us an update on the CIR receiver range Smile
so far, using that USB CIR Receiver and a harmony remote
didnt seem to perform well,,, specially range wise,,,
maybe using the defaul Asrock Smart Remote improves the range a little bit,,,
fluentdesigns Wrote:I also had one of those HUGE MS IR receivers sitting on top of my media center too.
unfortunately, asrock cir option is not compatible with your ir receiver. it designed for their $22.99 ASRock Smart Remote Controller - SMART REMOTE. it seems that asrock Z68M-ITX/HT mobo come with their cir receiver and smart remote. you can talk to newegg to confirm it!
Ok I will try it but my remote is going to be the Lenovo N5901 along with an MCE remote.
ah, oh well.. my N5901 should be coming in today.
why didnt you buy the N5902 ?
Sorry that is the one that I bought.. got confused on the model numbers. The new one when someone posted the $40 off code is when I got it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC build, lost old system over weekend0