Karaoke for Eden
We all know of the dreaded delay with the MP3+CDG in Dharma and the black screen that accompanies it when you try to change the timing. I wanted to know if this issue is being worked on for Eden? I've ran searches and find that most of the posts with people inquiring about a solution within Dharma go largely unanswered.

I hope I this issue gets resolved for Eden because as it is, karaoke is unusable in XBMC and I think many people would greatly enjoy being able to sing along to their favorite songs.

Good lookin out. Can't wait for Eden Smile
Sign me up to this too. MP3+CDG playback would be the last checkmark on my list of "things that make XBMC awesome".
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
So, just curious what the current status is of karaoke support?

I have MP3+CDG files (listed as "supported" in the XBMC karaoke wiki article, which by the way appears to be possibly outdated, as it talks about a "default PM3.HD skin"). There's very little info on how to actually get them working.

I tried going into Videos and simply browsing to the NAS share I have which contains the MP3+CDG zipped files. After a looong delay (the log shows XBMC laboriously opening and closing each zipped MP3+CDG file), I finally got....nothing. Thinking that perhaps XBMC was having issues with the files being zipped, I unzipped a file just to see if it would show up. It unzipped and created its own folder containing the MP3 and CDG separate files. When I tried again, this time I saw the name of that folder, but when I clicked inside it to see if I could play something, there were no files listed at all.

So...I'm totally stumped as to how I can play MP3+CDG files as the wiki claims is possible. Has anyone managed to get this successfully working?

Here's a log if it helps:
http://pastebin.com/jaTzjd8r
canadave Wrote:So, just curious what the current status is of karaoke support?

I tried going into Videos and simply browsing to the NAS share I have which contains the MP3+CDG zipped files.
http://pastebin.com/jaTzjd8r

Not sure if I understand the exact issue, but I am using the pre-Eden edition just for Karaoke (MP3+CDG) and it's much better on the lyrics timing issue in Dharma. I make sure my MP3 files have good meta data and a matching CDG file in the same location.

Make sure Karaoke is checked off under Music as a supported format. Create a Source directory (NAS) un Music section. Then simply go to Music -> Scan items to Library and it should pick up your content.

Then navigate to your song, hit play and the CDG should pop up after a slight delay.

My issues continue to be getting the library to update itself when new meta data is added to files (it's very poor at that), and there seems to be a sound issues (popping/crackle) for RCA audio out - but there's plenty of threads on that subject already.

Good Luck

-- Mitchman
Some additional karaoke fixes are in the wings from the dev who's done most of our karaoke stuff: 576 (PR)

I don't know if it's planned to be in place for Eden final or not. Sounds like they are just bug fixes, so it might make it in. The devs would have to tell you more, as most of that kind of stuff is above my head.

Either way, further karaoke improvements await everyone, so get your mic handy!
Does XBMC support sound input from the mic or is it something that's handled externally by the OS? By that I mean, do you plug a microphone in and XBMC recognizes it and handles the signal or is it just Windows outputting the sound universally across the OS?
Ned Scott Wrote:Some additional karaoke fixes are in the wings from the dev who's done most of our karaoke stuff: 576 (PR)

I don't know if it's planned to be in place for Eden final or not. Sounds like they are just bug fixes, so it might make it in. The devs would have to tell you more, as most of that kind of stuff is above my head.

Either way, further karaoke improvements await everyone, so get your mic handy!

Terrific, Ned, thanks, that looks like it'll probably do the trick.
fonzie Wrote:We all know of the dreaded delay with the MP3+CDG in Dharma and the black screen that accompanies it when you try to change the timing. I wanted to know if this issue is being worked on for Eden? I've ran searches and find that most of the posts with people inquiring about a solution within Dharma go largely unanswered.

This is because the proper place to file the bug reports is Trac, not the forum. I search Trac fairly regularly for the reported bugs involving karaoke, and frankly I check the forum quite rarely.

The CD+G loader has been rewritten after Dharma and Eden should contain the new one. The video background fixes won't make it to Eden though as it took me longer than expected to prepare them, so there will be no enough time to include them.

If you find a bug what you need to do is to go to http://trac.xbmc.org and search for the situation related to how'd you describe the bug. Hopefully you'd find that someone has reported the bug, and someone has been fixed it which would give you the idea when it will make to the binary builds. Otherwise you're welcome to report the bug. Complaining about it in the forum is the second useless thing (the first useless thing is adding "me too!" to the complain forum thread).

Personally I've been using Karaoke in XBMC during the last two years almost every week, getting a new git build once a month or so, and it always worked fine for me. What this means? If you don't report bugs, I'm not fixing them, so please report them.
Is there any way to add the mp3/cdg files to a separate library so that they don't show up in my regular music library? Should I add karaoke to the metadata genre, perhaps? Is the metadata actually stored in the cdg file or do I have to add it to the individual mp3s? Sorry, I am very new to this.

Also wondering what people are using for mics. I have a Saffire audio interface that I use to record guitar and thought that might work.
oldnemesis Wrote:Personally I've been using Karaoke in XBMC during the last two years almost every week, getting a new git build once a month or so, and it always worked fine for me. What this means? If you don't report bugs, I'm not fixing them, so please report them.

A few weeks ago I added to an existing open karaoke ticket and described the fact that karaoke songs are completely crashing for me on Beta 3 (and every other XBMC build prior), but I don't see that anything has been done with it yet. Has anyone actually gotten karaoke MP3+G files to work?
Which ticket you added it to?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Karaoke for Eden0