ATV2 : OK for network streamer from SMB?
hi all,

I'm considering a jailbroken Apple TV 2 running XBMC as a network streaming device for my mainly HD content.

My HD content is stored on a USB 2 drive which is connected to my Acer Revo nettop (which runs XBMC Live 24/7) and they're connected via a router and a powerline connection. The HD media is shared out from the Revo.

Do you think the Apple TV 2 would work well for this setup? Only reason I doubt it is that i've seen people complain about SMB, but I'm thinking it sounds ideal because my wife would like to use it for this Apple integration with her phone also.

thanks in advance
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
More important question is how are your HD files encoded? ATV2 will not play DivX/XVid encoded 720p files well. They are software decoded and push the ATV2 to its limit - SMB doesn't really matter at that point.

My ATV2 plays 720p H.264 encoded over SMB fine.
I have no idea what format the files are encoded in, I guess I better have a look when I get home before I splash out! Thanks for the response.

I guess I will have to compare this to other devices like WDTV live, Xtreamer etc but I really want the XBMC interface! the icing on the cake would be the additional apple functionality for Iphones.
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 : OK for network streamer from SMB?0