cd /
rmdir /Applications
ln -s /private/var/Applications /Applications
cd
apt-get update
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock
wget http://mirror.netcologne.de/xbmc/nig...aster-atv2.deb
dpkg -i xbmc-20111020.bc49ac0-master-atv2.deb

if you still get dependency errors an apt-get install -f should fix them.

Still no luck with these recepi and i have done it about 20 times. I can't be the only one having problems installing XBMC?

Question:
What exactly do I have to do after installing the nightly build? Does the XBMC menue show up after the next tethered boot or is there something else I'm missing?

Here are some more details, maybe that helps:

I'm using WinSCP Console but it looses connection and reconects sometimes while installing. After reconnect it seems to have installed OK. Should I try to use another SSH program? Maybe that woud help?

I'm always getting the "dependency problems" and solved them with "apt-get -f install". Don't know why. Also I had to "seatbeltunlock" on my old system a couple of times to make the XBMC menue show up. I tried that as well with no luck! Also I have always done the procedure on a fresh JB just to make sure.

By the way:
I'm used to installing the nightly builds and have done it probably 40-50 times on my ATV2 before I had to reset and updated to 4.4.1.

I can't wait for the NitoTV menue to come up again. That was so comfortable. Hope it will see the light of day as soon as possible.

....still trying even if I could just throw this damn thing out the window. Is there anyone out there who can stop me and make me try another time?
I have tried PUTTY now and it will install without any errors. So I think WINSCP Console is not very stable and causes those errors.

I can see the XBMC menue now, but the picture of the TV is flashing on and off!

After I uninstalled the nightly build by:
rm -r /Applications/XBMC.frappliance

..... flashing is gone. When I reinstall it it the TV picture starts flashing on and off again on the normal ATV menue.

... any ideas for that strange behaviour? I'm using a Samsung Full HD TV.
Sad 
Hi guys,

I bought an APTV2 and installed it on 4.3 but when returned from work it had updated to 4.4 (with a little help from my wife). I did not have a chance to run tinyumbrella to save the SHSH files.

Any suggestions, other than wait for the untheatered jailbrake, to downgrade to 4.3?

Thanks,

Tony
Joe-ATV2 Wrote:I have tried PUTTY now and it will install without any errors. So I think WINSCP Console is not very stable and causes those errors.

I can see the XBMC menue now, but the picture of the TV is flashing on and off!

After I uninstalled the nightly build by:
rm -r /Applications/XBMC.frappliance

..... flashing is gone. When I reinstall it it the TV picture starts flashing on and off again on the normal ATV menue.

... any ideas for that strange behaviour? I'm using a Samsung Full HD TV.

Seems strange. You shouldn't have needed to remove the /Applications/XBMC.frappliance..

But for sure, if your ssh connection was dropping part way through a apt-get install, you can never tell what it's done.

You could try this; (don't reboot or otherwise.. - just try this as it is)
straight after you've logged in -
pwd (should respond with /var/root)
ls -ld /Applications (should show up as /Applications -> /private/var/Applications/)
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
wget http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...r-atv2.deb (or whatever is latest at the time)
dpkg -i xbmc-20111023-0e8168e-master-atv2.deb

Cross your fingers - there should be no need to reboot...
aurbinar Wrote:Hi guys,

I bought an APTV2 and installed it on 4.3 but when returned from work it had updated to 4.4 (with a little help from my wife). I did not have a chance to run tinyumbrella to save the SHSH files.

Any suggestions, other than wait for the untheatered jailbrake, to downgrade to 4.3?

Thanks,

Tony

Yep - get Seas0nPass from http://www.firecore.com and do a tethered JB.
Then follow the instructions here.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=917...stcount=31

No promises.. but it's worked for me and worked for some others.
stevellion Wrote:Yep - get Seas0nPass from http://www.firecore.com and do a tethered JB.
Then follow the instructions here.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=917...stcount=31

No promises.. but it's worked for me and worked for some others.

Thanks Stevellion, I will get on it. I will post my results here. Big Grin
Hope this can help someone out. I too was having probs with the commands listed in this thread, well one in particular- that being the rmdir command. It wasn't letting me delete the /Applications folder even though it was empty. I proceeded anyways and things ended up getting borked to the point where I had to start all over again with a fresh restore. This time, instead of doing the rmdir command I did:

rm -rf /Applications

Then moved on to the sim link stuff, etc etc.. Everything was good to go this time. good luck
Thanks for the advice. I will try these solutions next and will post the results tonight.

Caution! Another update was released called ATV2 iOs 4.4.2! SOP JB plus XBMC doesn't work on that one yet. So be aware not to update!

I'm wishing the guys at firecore good luck. Hope you will manage another time, even if it is tethered! You are doing a great job.

Message for the stuff @ Apple (I'm sure they visit this forum):
Stop buggin us. Your machine is useless without XBMC and you wouldn't have sold so many devices if there weren't a way of making it useful.
aurbinar Wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks,

Tony

Don't listen to the false voices ... currently Apple is still signing 4.3 firmware. So just downgrade to 4.3 ... (you can select the target version in seas0npass somehow...) and get your untethered jb back. And teach your wife Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Don't listen to the false voices ... currently Apple is still signing 4.3 firmware. So just downgrade to 4.3 ... (you can select the target version in seas0npass somehow...) and get your untethered jb back. And teach your wife Wink

OK.. I didn't think possible.. will try it NOW!

And will then report if the slow initial SMB share is the same.

Thanks.
By Jove, so it does. Seas0nPass rocks.

I just wish I hadn't spent so much time messing with Sn0wBreeze at the beginning. Back to 4.3. Now to re-install XBMC and see if SMB is any better.
Laugh

But - smb initial load is still pig slow. - logging on other thread.
sweet thats for the instructions, i got it working Smile

question: what happens know if i want to install another nightly, can i just install it as per the wiki or is there now another way to do it??
danfozzy Wrote:sweet thats for the instructions, i got it working Smile

question: what happens know if i want to install another nightly, can i just install it as per the wiki or is there now another way to do it??

Easy..
Just wget the latest one onto your ATV.
then dpkg -i the new file.
Hey all,

I installed xbmc on my ATV2 on 4.4.0

Worked like a charm the first day, but now seems to crash a lot. During playback, but also when it is just on.

I do not have updatebegone installed, could that be the problem? Can it be installed through ssh or do I need NITO TV?

cheers, Job

edit: will post crash logs later today when i'm home, I have read protocol.
jobespierre Wrote:Hey all,

I installed xbmc on my ATV2 on 4.4.0

Worked like a charm the first day, but now seems to crash a lot. During playback, but also when it is just on.

I do not have updatebegone installed, could that be the problem? Can it be installed through ssh or do I need NITO TV?

cheers, Job

edit: will post crash logs later today when i'm home, I have read protocol.

1) you don't need nito TV.
2) why don't you have updatebegone installed?
just do: apt-get install com.nito.updatebegone
3) Are you running the latest nightly.
4) pretty much everything is done via ssh Smile
5) Just use Seas0nPass and get it back to 4.3 now, while Apple are still signing it... Then fresh install with normal instructions to be on a better supported platform. (and un-tethered JB)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2, iOS 4.4.1, XBMC Update0