Is USB 2.0 enough for 1080p?
I have a Zbox ND22 in order and I'm planning to add an external drive to it. Is USB 2.0 connection sufficient playing 1080p from external drive or do I need eSata connection?

Thank you.
Antinontoxic Wrote:I have a Zbox ND22 in order and I'm planning to add an external drive to it. Is USB 2.0 connection sufficient playing 1080p from external drive or do I need eSata connection?

Thank you.

USB 2.0 is 480Mbps max.

BluRay is 40Mbps max, ripped straight from the disk.

A 1080p h.264 MKV properly compressed should be, what, 10Mbps? Maybe even half that? Someone who knows more than me should answer that, but either way, USB 2.0 should be fine.

Smile

-Wes
waldo22 Wrote:USB 2.0 is 480Mbps max.

BluRay is 40Mbps max, ripped straight from the disk.

A 1080p h.264 MKV properly compressed should be, what, 10Mbps? Maybe even half that? Someone who knows more than me should answer that, but either way, USB 2.0 should be fine.

Smile

-Wes

Thanks Smile
Antinontoxic Wrote:I have a Zbox ND22 in order and I'm planning to add an external drive to it. Is USB 2.0 connection sufficient playing 1080p from external drive or do I need eSata connection?

Thank you.
i have been using usb 2.0 to store bd iso/m2ts forever, and i never have any problem playback the files in it. i'm moving on to usb 3.0. it has nothing to do with playback, but usb 3.0 is nearly 10x faster to transfer file. if you have esata, you can use that too. it'll allow you to transfer file faster.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
even tho it should be fine,
reports from users say that if your bluray rip is 15GB or less,
you shouldnt encounter any issues...
I can stream 1080p over WiFi (NFS) with file sizes in excess of 20GB, so you'll be fine using USB 2.0.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
eskro Wrote:even tho it should be fine,
reports from users say that if your bluray rip is 15GB or less,
you shouldnt encounter any issues...
all my ripped files are 1:1 iso's and some movies are 45+gb. it can playback from usb 2.0 flawless!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
this doesnt mean you'll encounter issues with 15GB+ files Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is USB 2.0 enough for 1080p?0