DB issues with 20111018-832ca62
Hi Guys.

First things first, long (long) time XBMC user and forum lurker... love your work!

I have been having a few issues with 20111018-832ca62 and have been doing a little testing on both the ATV2 and win32 platforms, details of my system are as follows:

Platform: AppleTV2
Version: iOS 4.3 build 8F455 /w Apple TV software 4.3 (2557)
XBMC Build: 20111018-832ca62
Install Method: wget, dpkg
Database: MYSQL

Both ATV2 and win32 versions have displayed similar behaviour, specifically:

1. Upon first execution, contents of the music and video databases are no longer visible within XBMC and an additional database is created with name ‘myvideos56’:
    • ATV2 log can be found here
    • win32 log can be found here
  2. Upon second execution, both ATV2 and win32 crash:
    • ATV2 log can be found here
    • ATV2 crash report can be found here
    • win32 log can be found here

I note from @firnsy's comments in Merge pull request #467 that ‘mysql credentials sufficient to "CREATE DATABASE"’ are required. I doubt DB permissions are an issue as the user account accessing them was applied with ‘GRANT ALL’…

Thanks guys. More than happy to provide more information if required.

Cheers,
James.
James:

I'm having the exact same issues. My xbmc.log file is nearly a mirror image of yours!
same issues...reverted to previous day's nightly build
Guys, thanks for the logs and the additional testing.

I've just commited a few more tweaks to provide some better logging to help debug these issues a little better. I hope the real benefit of this feature is immediately realised by the fact that you "should" be able to revert to a previously working nightly and you DB has not been smashed.

Emphasis on the "should" Big Grin

The commit for you reference is 5ecc52506b8d068b11cf5a28341e2c7fde727be6, hopefully it's in the next nightly build.

Please report back on any successes and or failures.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ, Wiki and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
virtuallysafe Wrote:I note from @firnsy's comments in Merge pull request #467 that ‘mysql credentials sufficient to "CREATE DATABASE"’ are required. I doubt DB permissions are an issue as the user account accessing them was applied with ‘GRANT ALL’…

Well you can confirm this by logging onto your mysql server using the same credentials supply in the as.xml file and doing a
Code:
"CREATE DATABASE blah;"

If you don't have the credentials you'll need to add "CREATE" privileges to the appropriate user. Note assuming your user is "XBMC" with a password "password" and the mysql instance is on the same machine as your XBMC instance (ie localhost) the command would be:
Code:
GRANT CREATE ON *.* TO xbmc@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ, Wiki and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Firnsy,

I installed xbmc-20111020-bc49ac0-master-atv2.deb this morning and didn't get beyond the splash screen. The logs might as well be in greek to me, but I still see tons of references to the sql database in the xbmc log:

xbmc log: http://pastebin.com/Jzw7DgYf
syslog: http://pastebin.com/fPdxNsg5
CrashReporter: http://pastebin.com/amdaDxyH
Sarlic Wrote:I installed xbmc-20111020-bc49ac0-master-atv2.deb this morning and didn't get beyond the splash screen.

Granted that your title suggests you've donated (thank you for that), I'll go easy on you this time Wink

As the OP has pointed out in an alternate thread.

virtuallysafe Wrote:Details of the changes being applied to each nightly build can be found in the commit history (found at the chanelog here).

If you go to the URL you will see the commits listed in order.

Referencing the last commit of fixes I pushed up yesterday
firnsy Wrote:... 5ecc52506b8d068b11cf5a28341e2c7fde727be6, hopefully it's in the next nightly build.

Try to locate the commit in master commit list. So we need a nightly that is built from that commit or later.

Now from the deb you installed, you will notice a commit prefix in the filename. HINT: It's the 7 hex-digit hash.

Not try to locate that commit in the master commit list. If you're having trouble, look two commits immediately below the one we want to be using.

So if you're now thinking "OK, what does that mean?" - It means that the nightly build you're testing with does not contain the first round of fixes I added and that you'll need to wait for the next nightly build.

Hopefully that makes sense. I thought I'd spell it out to save having to answer the same questions for other people. With your newly acquired knowledge, you can now help others with similar problems.

Finally, thanks again for taking the plunge into the nightlies as it will only ensure that the Eden release is cocked, locked and rocking release for all.
Thanks Firnsy, good to know -- I thought that whatever I saw on the changelog under the date of the posting of the nightly was included in the new build. My mistake!

Thanks for going easy on me! I'm going to track down the post by "virtuallysafe" that you mentioned and read through it -- I used the nightlies for some time back when there was just the thread that Keith created and came back after a time to find the process changed, so I've missed all of the changes in protocol, except for what I could glean tin the FAQ.

Thanks agian.
Hi Firnsy,

Your probably all over this, however just in case, I’m still experiencing issues after installing 20111020-59dec96 with the library content not being displayed.

Logs after install are as follows:

Thanks again,

James.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DB issues with 20111018-832ca620