Tv out for xbmc on ipad
Thanks guys that was it. I normally turn on the projector last and turning it on first before xbmc started did the trick. Now it works like a charm Smile
xbmc was the only reason I jailbreaked this ipad, keep up the good work Smile
(2012-05-30, 02:41)Ned Scott Wrote: Just to make sure, are normal iOS apps that have video out working with full-screen and composite out?

Yeah, YouTube was playing full screen, and playing the same video from sd in iFile also played full screen.

Remco
Kno1 i need a debug log for this. But please try the next nightly build first. (might have fixed something by accident there).

Of course the touched skin is useless on tvout.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-05-30, 09:38)Memphiz Wrote: Kno1 i need a debug log for this. But please try the next nightly build first. (might have fixed something by accident there).

Of course the touched skin is useless on tvout.

I was already on the latest nightly ( 20120529-8c1f246 )
Here's the debug log

What I did in this debug log is start xbmc, go to settings and switch the video mode to fullscreen #2. Then it turned on the composite and it show as in the picture.

BTW, for like a second, the picture is actually full screen (with maybe some overscan), without showing the "Do you want to keep this resolution"-dialog. but then it switches to what is this faulty resolution and it show the dialog.

Remco
The "latest" nightly is the next nightly in your case because i fixed somthing after 20120529-8c1f246 ...

But nvm i see you are using an ipad2 not ipad3. Well its because of the framebuffer rescaling i guess. But i don't have a composite out nore do i have a screen which does that wonky 720 x 576 resolution *grrr*.

Couldn't you just use a "normal" tv? ^^
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-05-30, 14:24)Memphiz Wrote: The "latest" nightly is the next nightly in your case because i fixed somthing after 20120529-8c1f246 ...

But nvm i see you are using an ipad2 not ipad3. Well its because of the framebuffer rescaling i guess. But i don't have a composite out nore do i have a screen which does that wonky 720 x 576 resolution *grrr*.

Couldn't you just use a "normal" tv? ^^

Euh? The tv is involved too? I would say that my tv's are pretty normal widescreen tv's (I've tried 2, a samsung and a philips, and can also try a sony)... Or wait, you wanted to test it using the hdmi, and then you need a screen that supports that...

But, how are you making the decision to switch to that resolution, because keeping the resolution at 1024x768 seems to create a fullscreen image. Only after switching to that resolution does the the problem occur. Or enable the ability to change the resolution (maybe add some resolution to test in the next nightly, so I can test a couple?)

Anyway, do you still want me to use the next nightly?

Remco
Next nightly won't change anything for you (changes only for ipad3 if at all). I don't decide by any means which resolutions are selectable - its what the tv/apple reports to us. In your case the only supported resolution of you tv is 720x576 - which is a 5:4 format which is imho uncommon. Of course this can't be the reason why it doesn't work for you but i don't have a plan on how to track the problem down when all my available tvs/screens are working with every possible resolution (which are all 4:3 or 16:9 resolutions though).
The thing is, as far as I know there is no signal coming from the TV to the iPad reporting this resolution. I mean, I've never heard that the TV communicates over the composite cable back to a device. Please note I'm saying composite, not component. There's one yellow plug for video, and a red and white one for audio. Also, I think I mentioned this before, YouTube and the video player started from iFile just play full screen.

But yeah, without being able to reproduce this, guess it'll be hard to debug.

Remco
Could you provide me a syslog where you once used the youtube app via composite out? So i could see if youtube selects the same resolution (i bet it does).

I don't know how Apples iOS determines that 720x576 resolution. All i can say it tells me that this is the only resolution which is supported by the TV-Out in your constellation. But thats out of scope of your problem.

The issue must be something else in the rescaling/framebuffer of XBMC (of course it has to work with 5:4 resolutions aswell).
Here's the syslog. I would suggest starting at the bottom :-)

I've booted the ipad, plugged the composite adapter in and the went into youtube and verified that the video was playing fullscreen on the tv. The i quit youtube and unplugged the adapter from the ipad.

I took a quick look, but didn't see a log with resolutions, but maybe the ID's mean certain resolutions?

Anyway, here's the log: http://pastebin.com/ibLMDN9W

Remco
Btw, like I said before, the tv shows the screen fullscreen for a second, but them switches to that wrong resolution.

But when switch the screen back to the ipad, the ipad displays the same wrong resolution for a minute.

The easiest way looks to be to keep the ipad resolution, though the aspect ratio is then probaly still 4:3 instead of 16:9. But that's solvable by calibrating. Though an option to easily switch between aspect ratios wil l be handy, since the ipad has a high change of being hooked up to different types of tv's.
Your suggestion is not possible. You are mixing up screen resolution and internal frame buffer size. And its simply wrong to NOT resize the framebuffer. Doing this might help you - but will break tvout for all others which are going from 1024x768 to 720p for example.

I know it looks like "can't be that difficult i can already see the right thing for a short moment" - but it has to be fixed the right way ...
I'll take your word for it :-)

Any clues in the syslog?
nothing at all *grr*
:-(

Don't know if it'll help, but here's another syslog, this one has me using ifile and starting a video from the sdcard on the adapter, playing on the tv. It does seem to show some different information, though I might have overlooked these entries in the previous one.

http://pastebin.com/AXKXFMtP

Remco
I've been having exactly the same problem with the picture not filling the width of the screen under tv out! Using a component cable and a nightly from July 11th

Sometimes it fills the whole screen and I can calibrate it all the way to the edges and sometimes it falls short by about an inch either side (42inch TV)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tv out for xbmc on ipad0