NAS Drive / ATV2 Help
Hi Guys,

Complete Newb when it comes to XBMC but I have jailbroken my ATV2 and am currently streaming to my TV using XBMC from my Mac and an external hard drive.

I now want to get a NAS Drive (this one http://uk.insight.com/en-gb/apps/product...NGEGA06QOI) as I have been offered it for a very good price but I want to make sure it will work without me needing to have my mac/PC running.

Can any one advise please...

Thanks for your time

Brad
I use this exact device for downloading from TV Torrents, and playing on the ATV2/XBMC using the nightly builds, which I update about once a week. I have them networked using Solwise Ethernet over Power adapters, and it's a fantastic setup. The only issues I have found are playing some ISOs which can stutter if there is any other network traffic. I'm sure that if I was to physically cable the ATV2 it may fix this, but I primarily watch TV shows from TV Torrents, and I'm very happy with the setup.

I have 2x500GB drives setup as mirrors (RAID1) - means you only get 500GB total storage, but if a drive goes down (and I had one do that not long ago), you can just pull it out and plug in the new one.

There are lots of add-ons for the Netgear device - for example - MySQL - which now stores my XBMC database giving me access to it from other XBMC devices besides the ATV2.

I'd recommend it - especially for the money - but that said I haven't used any other NAS devices in the past...
Hi,

Thanks for the response, a little lost the "Solwise Ethernet over Power adapters" what does that allow it/me to do?

Well I have been offer the Drive with 4TB for £150.00 through the company I work for and my plan was to have it set up for Raid.

Looking like a goer then...

Thanks again.
The Solwise devices allow me to put the NAS under the desk in my office upstairs, and plug the ATV2 in downstairs in the sitting room without having to resort to wireless or (God forbid) an very long ethernet cable. Sounds like a great price you got there. Think I paid €120 with no hard drives at all.
Hi Braddrum,

ATV2 + NAS + XBMC = awesome.

I have never used the netgear, but it sounds like it does all the good stuff that you should expect from a modern entry level NAS. I persoally use a Synology DS110j with a 2TB WD Green drive and I love it. Its a very inexpensive single drive device and has been bulletproof for over a year of XBMC bliss. I backup to a secondary USB drive about once a week. I like RAID just fine, but I don't really trust it =)

I have two ATV2s, an ATV1 (Crystalbuntu) and a couple windows clients all feeding media from my NAS and sharing a single MySQL database.

I actually use WiFi (802.11n) to one of my ATV2s and I have zero issues even on SMB as the file sharing protocol.
I have had horrible experiences with Raid 5 in the past, so that almost turned me off RAID completely. But Raid 1 (at least on the NetGear Ready NAS) is flawless. Originally I had 2x250 GB drives. One went down and I bought a 500GB drive. Installed it into the NAS and although it was only using 250GB, it mirrored straight away no problems. I subsequently pulled the remaining 250GB drive out and replaced it with another 500GB drive. Not only did it work flawlessly, it increased the total capacity to 500GB without any intervention. My faith in RAID (at least Raid 1) is restored!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS Drive / ATV2 Help0