Please Help with ATV2 and iMac
Hi All,

Now firstly I have read through EVERY thread you can imagine on here, about sharing your files from the mac to ATV2 and none of them work. Absolutely tearing my hair out.

I am new to ATV2 and XBMC. Have always simply had XBMC on my mac but the wife wanted things to be more straight forward. So I spent out on the ATV2 and she will obviously expect me to show off what it can do.

I have installed a nightly build labelled 20th Oct, Nito TV and ATVFlash(Black) on to the ATV2.

No matter which option I try, to get sharing working, it always says it can not connect to the network. I have tried every solution I have found on a thread and no joy.

My network is ADSL 20mg in to a standard wireless router. RJ45 from that in to an airport extreme.
I have connected my ATV2 to the apple Extreme and can do internet and trailers on the ATV2 with it.

Please, I know I will most likely get moaned at for not posting this elsewhere or something but I have tried everything (except what I consider to be above my skill level)

The last thing I tried was the WedDav one (media master server) and it wouldn't connect in xbmc.

Please help if you can. This is all a bit new to me.
If you need any further info, just ask and I will do all I can to provide.
Do you have Lion on the iMac? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109723

I also use Media Master Server and if you run it using HTTP protocol then it works fine. Just need to set up the log in correctly on MMS and make sure the correct root folder is selected.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Sorry Yes, Lion
Have a run through that thread and see if it helps, AFP is now used with Lion.
Set Up
Yeah tried that first off.
Went in to the settings of the mac and shared the relevant areas and ticked AFP.
Tried to enter the info in to xbmc and still it can't connect to network.
Why is this stuff so darn difficult
Posting your log would be your best bet probably. If not try to enter the URL directly into the mediasources.xml file on your atv2 under:

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/Userdata

in the format of afp://user[:password@ (wiki)server[/share[/path[/file]]]]

They are case sensitive as well!
Set Up
Ok 2 things Dean, firstly, how do I enter that path of the ATV2? So far I have done everything in terminal to the ATV2 but not sure how to edit something on it.
Also, how do extract the log from XBMC on the ATV?
And secondly (although this may not help) AFP works fine through media player so the network stuff is working :-)

Sorry for being a noob on this, really I am. Anything windows based and it's not an issue. It's actually my career LOL
Haha thats fine! If you go to http://cyberduck.ch/ and download that on your iMac it will let you access the file system on your ATV2 with a GUI and download and upload files etc.

Start Cyberduck and go File > Open Connection. Use SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), Server is the IP of your ATV2, Leave Port alone, Username is root and Password is alpine (case sensitive and if you've not changed these) then press connect.

From here it will connect you to /private/var/root if you go up a folder using the drop down box near the top to /private/var/. Then navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences and down the bottom will be a file called xbmc.log

If you then copy that to your iMac, open it in console, copy all the data to http://pastebin.com/ and then post the link here.

Just a note, restart your XBMC on ATV2 and just try to load the share that isn't working if not then the log is huge with loads of stuff that isn't needed.

To enter the path manually you will need to go to (in Cyberduck again):

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/Userdata

and copy the file called mediasources.xml to your mac manually. Open this up in text edit and add the source in the format of: afp://user[assword@ (wiki)server[/share[/path[/file]]]]

eg. afp://user[password@ (wiki)192.168.1.1[/media[/TV]]]

When you save the document it might change it to a .txt so just edit the file name and change it back to xml, it will post a warning but don't worry just press use xml. Then copy this back to the folder on your ATV2 via Cyberduck (backup the first one just incase!)
Hope this helps!
Set Up
OK will give all this a go now. Just one thing: On the afp path I put in to the XML file, is the username and password referring to my main one that I use on the mac??

If so , I do not have a password against my mac admin account
Not to sure to be honest. I use SMB myself and have never looked into the AFP as I access my movies via a networked HDD. Would say maybe go over here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109723 for more thorough support and link this thread?
Set Up
http://pastebin.com/2Cx6CB70
Hope that's the right link to the log file
First you need to update to a nightly as there is no AFP support in the version of XBMC you have from June 23rd which can be found how to do here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2

Did you actually try to open the share before you posted the log? I can't see it in there. Close xbmc. Open it up, navigate to the share that won't work, try to open it, get the error and then take the log and post it back.
Set Up
OK Now i am hugely confused. The nightly build I grabbed off the server, via terminal was dated oct 21stHuh??
I will go through the script to install again and see what happens
Have you set up how to log for errors on XBMC? Read here first: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480
Set Up
Starting to get cheesed off now.
I have just gone through all the details again to install the latest nightly.
the wget, dpkg and rm commands all go through successfully. The ATV2 doesn't reboot so I go in to XBMC and it's still the original one. AAGGHH.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please Help with ATV2 and iMac0