streaming problem with XBMC on ATV2
Dear all,
I have a huge problem which makes it practically impossible to use my NAS.
Usually I stream videos (usually mkv) from my NAS to my ATV2 which is conneted via hdmi to my TV.
The problem is that often the video stops, then starts buffering or swithes directly back to the main menu. If it occurs once it happens every few seconds again which makes it impossible to watch. Sometimes it works fine for 30 minutes and in other cases it already happens after 1 minute.

At the moment I`m really clueless what the reason could be.

Originally I thought the reason lies in the share (I tried SMB, AFP, NFS, UPNP and finally FTP), but the same problem occurs for every share!

Do you have any hints, configuration or whatever I could work on?

Could the problem be the router?
I have my NAS just for a few weeks and I never had a perfectly working system jet.

This is my configuration:
NAS: Synology 211j
HTPC: ATV2
XBMC with nightly build 01-Oct-2011 11:14 (xbmc-20110930-2138fb0-master-atv2.deb)
Router: Fritzbox Fon Wlan 7140SL

I hope anybody could solve my problem!!
Thx a lot in advance!!
fploink
Post Log: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
How is your atv connected? Wired or wireless? It is connected to the same router as the nas?

Id suggest changing the connections so both are wired to the same router then try playing a simple SD AVI file to see if that works. Then try a 720p mkv..then 1080p

Theres a few things to try Smile I'd guess you're either playing an unsupported format or theres something a bit funny with the way you've connected up the ATV/NAS so they don't have a good speed between each other.
jusnogood Wrote:How is your atv connected? Wired or wireless? It is connected to the same router as the nas?

Id suggest changing the connections so both are wired to the same router then try playing a simple SD AVI file to see if that works. Then try a 720p mkv..then 1080p

Theres a few things to try Smile I'd guess you're either playing an unsupported format or theres something a bit funny with the way you've connected up the ATV/NAS so they don't have a good speed between each other.

Yes it is connected wireless to the same router as the NAS. But the connection is great playing HD videos from Youtube poses no problem.

By the way ATV2 can just play 720p. And if this problem occured it doesn't matter which file I play (avi or mkv) everywhere the same!
Update to nightly builds, then try again.
Ned Scott Wrote:Update to nightly builds, then try again.

do you really think this will change anything?

A friend of mine has the same nightly build as me and for him it works fine!

I'm afraid my problem lies anywhere else?
Any other ideas?
fploink Wrote:do you really think this will change anything?

A friend of mine has the same nightly build as me and for him it works fine!

I'm afraid my problem lies anywhere else?
Any other ideas?

General rule of thumb when using nightlies is to update to the latest one before asking for help. They get updated every day (as the name suggests) with bug fixes and improvements. Your build is 22 days old.
Ned Scott Wrote:General rule of thumb when using nightlies is to update to the latest one before asking for help. They get updated every day (as the name suggests) with bug fixes and improvements. Your build is 22 days old.

First of all thanks to all for your advice!
Now I just updated to the last nightly builds which didn't lead to any improvement.
So I connected my Router with ATV2 via cable and no more onerous buffering!
As it seems the router is in deed the problem.
Now the next question: does anyone know how to proceed?
Do I have to buy an other router (any recommendations?) or just a repeater or is there any other solution because in my case for the future keeping the cable is not a viable possibility!
Just as a reminder my current router is a Fritzbox WLAN 7140SL (Unfortunately I have no knowledge in that cohesion but mabye this information helps you to assess: ADSL2+, 4x LAN 100Mbit/s, WLAN 802.11 b/g/g++ bis 125MBit/s).

Thx for your help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
streaming problem with XBMC on ATV20