Looking for tips to respiring/reboot ATV2 on tethered JB
Hi everyone,

Hope I can get some minds together to figure out a solution to this issue. As we all know and have provably experienced, XBMC sometimes crashes. Previously I'd just reboot the ATV using my remote but now that I'm running a tethered JB, that's not a viable option.

I already know about the SSH command "killall AppleTV" to restart my ATV without needing to connect and boot tethered, so that does the job. I've even automated a batch file to log in to the ATV, run the command and exit (using the awesome Plink).

However the problem with that is by running the command within XBMC, it defaults many of the settings, specifically the screen saver and sleep times. Other more important options are fine, but these reset. Every time. Without fail.

I know it's not a huge issue. I know this doesn't happen that often, but I'd there is another solution to soft-reset the ATV without requiring it to be tethered again, and that won't reset any settings, I'd love to know Smile

Thanks!!

Nick
What you want to achieve is not going to work.

XBMC does deactivate the sleep timer as well as the screensaver whenever it starts - and it resets the settings to the former values when it is ended normally.

Now, when XBMC crashes it will not get to the point where it can set those values back to normal.

So, it doesn't have anything to do with the killall AppleTV command, but with XBMC crashing.

EmKay
XBMC is a plugin under AppleTV.app, if AppleTV.app crashes, then watchdog will restart it. There's nothing to 'reboot'.
emkay Wrote:What you want to achieve is not going to work.

XBMC does deactivate the sleep timer as well as the screensaver whenever it starts - and it resets the settings to the former values when it is ended normally.

Now, when XBMC crashes it will not get to the point where it can set those values back to normal.

So, it doesn't have anything to do with the killall AppleTV command, but with XBMC crashing.

EmKay

Ah, that makes sense why they fail when it crashes.

When I run the killall command through SSH, it doesn't matter whether XBMC is running fine or has crashed, but based on what you've said doing anything to close XBMC without it actually exiting by itself, cleanly, will keep the settings from reverting back to their previous values.

davilla Wrote:XBMC is a plugin under AppleTV.app, if AppleTV.app crashes, then watchdog will restart it. There's nothing to 'reboot'.

No, what I'm meaning is when XBMC freezes while I'm in it. The only way out was to do a reset via the Apple remote, but since I have the tethered jailbreak on the ATV, doing that would require me to hook it up to my laptop and set it to boot tethered.

Running the killall AppleTV command resets everything. The AppleTV.app isn't causing the crash, but it's XBMC that is. I don't know if it's possible to just reset the XBMC plugin using a terminal command.

But from what I've seen, it wouldn't matter if I could, if XBMC doesn't exit normally, it doesn't set the Screen Saver/Sleep Timer state properly.

Now, what I would like to know is if there's a way to set the Screen Saver/Timer settings via SSH/Terminal command? If I can kill the process, can I change the settings for the ATV?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for tips to respiring/reboot ATV2 on tethered JB0