• 1(current)
Shortage of Hard Drives Prices UP!
Have you guys noticed that all Hard Drives are up in price?

Like the Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS used to be about $79.00
now its $120.00

and wow the caviar black 2tb used to be $150 and now $209.00

Good thing I don't need any storage for a while...

Sad
yeah they went up a bit..

$89 shipped WD green
http://pcpowerzone.com/wd20earshd2t.html...elid=FROOG
Yep, I'm happy I just finished off my file server. Was waiting on two more 2TB disks for the array and got them about two weeks before the flooding. I'm done for a bit, lets just hope I don't have a failure. Although for one drive, it wouldn't be so bad.

I haven't seen a [DEAL] on a hard drive since the announcement.
I recently bought a couple Hitachi 3TB drives for $110 on sale from Newegg. Same drives are $210 on the same site today.

It's sounding like it'll get worse before it gets better too. Western Digital is talking two months of zero production then another four to six months of ramping back up. Nevermind the parts suppliers...
Beer40oz Wrote:Have you guys noticed that all Hard Drives are up in price?

Like the Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS used to be about $79.00
now its $120.00

Sad

Yes, I noticed! The WD20EARS was $75 for a long time at Memory Express and now it's $100 there. Still better than $120 though Smile
LOl....wanna see something really ridiculous.. Here.. So what if they are already pre-cleared and burned in.. Trying times for large server owners with multiple drive capacities!!

I almost Sh*t my pants when I saw this!!! had to start a thread on LT forum to ask for an explaination!!
WD prices are going up due to flooding in Thailand where their manufacturing plants are. Depending on further flooding WD said it could be as long as 5-8 months to bring their plants back online. Seems a lot of HD manufacturers have part or all of their plants based in Thailand.

Good article on it: http://www.infoworld.com/t/hard-drives/t...kes-176453
I was just planning to build a dedicated HTPC and expand my media server Sad
bonelifer Wrote:WD prices are going up due to flooding in Thailand where their manufacturing plants are

crazy o.O
CpTHOOK Wrote:LOl....wanna see something really ridiculous.. Here.. So what if they are already pre-cleared and burned in.. Trying times for large server owners with multiple drive capacities!!

I almost Sh*t my pants when I saw this!!! had to start a thread on LT forum to ask for an explaination!!

Pretty pricey... what is that link you started?
eskro Wrote:yeah they went up a bit..

$89 shipped WD green
http://pcpowerzone.com/wd20earshd2t.html...elid=FROOG

Ordered 2!! Total price of each with shipping 86.33.
Thanks Eskro Big Grin
Harro Wrote:Ordered 2!! Total price of each with shipping 86.33.
Thanks Eskro Big Grin

nice DEAL Smile
Picked up another two Hitachi 3TB green drives for $125 apiece locally today. I should be set for the next year or two now, heh.
Looks like all the manu's prices have gone up - they're conspiring to conspire!!

I'm not in immediate need, however, as we all know prices tend to take much longer to fall back down vs shoot up quickly.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I don't really pay much attention to SSD prices but does anyone noticed if SSD are also affected?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shortage of Hard Drives Prices UP!1