Anyone know of some automation for torrents?
I am trying to find a script or something that will take my downloaded torrents (always .rars) and extract them upon completion and move the extracted video file to a specified folder. This way the original .rar set can be left in it's original location for seeding, but the extracted video is moved to an XBMC aware location ready for immediate viewing.

I found a couple that will automate the extraction, but they all seem to leave the extracted file in the same location as the download. Anyone know of anything that does what I'm after?
I am in the same boat. Hope some one smarter than me can help.
do you have to use RARs? utorrent can run scripts/programs upon completion. why don't you write a batch file to do it. If not, you should look into it's RSS downloader. I use it for tv shows and movies. set a tv show name, point to a tv show folder, and it will automatically download new episodes when they come out, place in folders...i dont have to touch a thing. Same for movies. I know a movie that I want? set the RSS downloader, point to a folder...set and forget.

It really is no easier than that.

run program:
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Question is why you need it?

XBMC can easily play RAR files.
Just point your movie location directory in XBMC to download dir.
I even have separate directories for Movies and Series.
I use RSS feeds to download movies and have configured to download them in "/Series/<Series name>/" location.
And all the rest (which is movies) go to "/Movies/<movie name>" location.

I also have some more advanced variant, but that involves a web server, userscript and my own RSS feed for movie downloads. If you would like to know more about that, I'll be glad to tell you.
Shipis Wrote:Question is why you need it?

XBMC can easily play RAR files.
Just point your movie location directory in XBMC to download dir.
I even have separate directories for Movies and Series.
I use RSS feeds to download movies and have configured to download them in "/Series/<Series name>/" location.
And all the rest (which is movies) go to "/Movies/<movie name>" location.

I also have some more advanced variant, but that involves a web server, userscript and my own RSS feed for movie downloads. If you would like to know more about that, I'll be glad to tell you.

I dont know their reasons, but I hate rars. When I play them back, i have issues sometimes fastforwarding or rewinding, where it restarts XBMC. This may be an openelec.tv bug and not xbmc, but it doesn't happen with .mkvs. Plus managing 1 mkv is easier than 40+ rars.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
I don't like the rar's either, but the tracker I use has everything in rar's. I've already automated the downloading vis uTorrent's RSS downloader like Evanrich showed and I have managed to get them to extract once downloaded, but the problem is getting them moved. I don't want to simply point XBMC to the folder I download them too because I want to seed them and if I extract into the same folder, then XBMC will pick up duplicates. I don't download movies so this is only for shows.

Shipis - if you have anything that would help accomplish this, I'm all ears and would appreciate anything you could do to point me in the right direction.
I use RARs on my ATV and openelec.tv without any problems.
Btw, I comprehend my folders containing rars as single file.

About moving MKVs - as I understood you get them extracted from RARs when download finishes. That means you can write a batch job, which looks for all *.mkv files in your download location and moves them to your movie location. You can run this batch using scheduled task. Also, at the end of this batch you can add code, that will update your XBMC library.

What OS are you running?
Maybe I can help you write such batch if you don't know how.
Shipis Wrote:I use RARs on my ATV and openelec.tv without any problems.
Btw, I comprehend my folders containing rars as single file.

About moving MKVs - as I understood you get them extracted from RARs when download finishes. That means you can write a batch job, which looks for all *.mkv files in your download location and moves them to your movie location. You can run this batch using scheduled task. Also, at the end of this batch you can add code, that will update your XBMC library.

What OS are you running?
Maybe I can help you write such batch if you don't know how.

I'm giving some thought to leaving the rars as is. One question... if a rar set is being seeded and is uploading, can I still play it through XBMC? Or will it fail because it's in use by another program? I'd try myself but I'm not at my home computer.
You shouldn't have problems with that.
(2011-10-26, 03:14)RockDawg Wrote: I don't like the rar's either, but the tracker I use has everything in rar's. I've already automated the downloading vis uTorrent's RSS downloader like Evanrich showed and I have managed to get them to extract once downloaded, but the problem is getting them moved. I don't want to simply point XBMC to the folder I download them too because I want to seed them and if I extract into the same folder, then XBMC will pick up duplicates. I don't download movies so this is only for shows.

Shipis - if you have anything that would help accomplish this, I'm all ears and would appreciate anything you could do to point me in the right direction.

How did you get them extracted once downloaded?
I honestly don't remember anymore. I now use Usenet along with Sick Beard instead and it works great. I was never able to get torrent downloading completely automated and that prompted me to move to Sick Beard shortly after I posted in this thread..
ok thanks for the quick reply ill look into sick beard
Sick beard will work with Torrents as well but I don't know if it will extract the RAR.
Here you go, https://github.com/jkaberg/uProcess

Will automate the process all togather: extacting/linking or copying files to destination and then call Couchpotato/Sick-Beard to process the files further

NOTE: uTorrent ONLY
Flexget

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone know of some automation for torrents?0