Is Apple TV 2 comming soon?
Hi,

I want to buy Apple TV 2 MC572LL/A to try XBMC. But I have read that this is version of 2010 and maybe 2011 version is soon coming. Does anyone know if this is true?

I have also read that AppleTV2 had hardware restriction of 720p. What will happen when I am using XBMC on Apple TV2 with 1080p content?

Does XBMP on AppleTV2 has the same functionality as XBMP on a PC with faster hardware?

Thank you
Its called XBMC ... I repeat.... XBMC ... X B M C ... NO P ... there was never a P and there will never be a P ... may be a S for sexy ... but no P ... one last time ... X B M C.

Well ... just kidding ...

Apple TV2 is Apple TV2 ... i bet the next one will be called Apple TV3 and there are no infos about it.

When throwing 1080p content on the ATV2 it will be output as 720p aswell. So its downscaled.

Functionality is the same as on PC - beside some special addons and some music visualisations. Its slower then a PC of course.

Before deciding you better read this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ

... X B M C ... C!! with a capital C!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Its called XBMC ... I repeat.... XBMC ... X B M C ... NO P ... there was never a P and there will never be a P ... may be a S for sexy ... but no P ... one last time ... X B M C.

Well ... just kidding ...

Apple TV2 is Apple TV2 ... i bet the next one will be called Apple TV3 and there are no infos about it.

When throwing 1080p content on the ATV2 it will be output as 720p aswell. So its downscaled.

Functionality is the same as on PC - beside some special addons and some music visualisations. Its slower then a PC of course.

Before deciding you better read this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ

... X B M C ... C!! with a capital C!

Actually..... at one time there was a P..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Media_Player

I used to run XBMP on the original Xbox.

Big Grin
pah ... never in my tiny ios world ... Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
iOS didn't even exist at the time.

Back then, we had to code using an abacus...
IIRC XBMP was not open source. That's the reason that XBMC was originally created. To provide an open source alternative to the popular XBMP. When it first came out it was bare bones, I remember the progress bar being a series of white dashes and boxes reminiscent of an old VCR overlay. XBMC has come a LONG WAY since then.
WisdomWolf Wrote:IIRC XBMP was not open source. That's the reason that XBMC was originally created. To provide an open source alternative to the popular XBMP. When it first came out it was bare bones, I remember the progress bar being a series of white dashes and boxes reminiscent of an old VCR overlay. XBMC has come a LONG WAY since then.

Nope, XBMP was open source later on. I think the XBMP -> XBMC change was just a name change because it had become so much more than just a video player.
I loved XBMP! It was one of main the reasons I modded the original xbox. The community members that started on that and worked to make XBMC what it is today have great appreciation from me and many other users. I think I still have a copy of it on my old xbox.
Apple TV 2 is already out...

BUT...

Apple Television might be coming out!!

That's a real lol picture because the Apple television is only $76 cheaper if you get the max package that probably wont have all the content anyway. and I seriously doubt the apple tv will output 7.1 digital audio and have connections for all of it
I agree its a LOL as apple wont have a Wii or Xbox or PS3 integrated etc... people like choice.
Also the Audiophiles of the world with their £8000 B&O or Kef installation will want their own specific amp and inputs etc...

Still a cool idea of having a TV with DVD/Blu-Ray built in and a camera/wifi and Apple TV, oh and XBMC of course lol.

I could see them doing it, cane be hard to make a bigger 40" iMac style TV with A5/A6 processor and HDD etc...

I'd be tempted to buy lol
Umm I seriously doubt it will have "DVD/Blu-Ray built in" (just look at all the new apple computers) the whole point is to get you to spend that $50 a month on itunes and download them
Well its a nice idea that apple tv. However i hope apple will leave room for those that have an reciver in place. There is no way i would let any tv take over that roll from my onkyo reciver. Anyway its a nice consept and i would like to see apple release it.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Jezz_X Wrote:Umm I seriously doubt it will have "DVD/Blu-Ray built in" (just look at all the new apple computers) the whole point is to get you to spend that $50 a month on itunes and download them

Look at any of Apple's earnings reports that they're required to publish each year. They really don't make much more than breaking even when it comes to media/iTunes sales (App sales are more profitable, however). Media on the iTunes store is just an incentive to sell the hardware, which is where Apple makes their real money.

The real reason to believe it won't have a drive is simply that Apple believes that physical media is dead.
As much as I hate to argue a point "Apple believes that physical media is dead" is true but then they think digital downloads is the future. Where does apple put all its digital downloads for all its media devices like ATV2 iPhone iPod Quicktimeplayer? in the iTunes store and its video section.

The point of apple is lock you into the echo system of using iTunes program and thus iTunes store to get your media onto your device which is why they only allow limited codecs to be played on things like the ATV2 iPhone iPod, so people can't just get media from anywhere without having to re-encode it

Anyway from a business point of view I think its a great idea from a power end user point of view it sucks Smile though I bet the average joe blow finds it very convenient. But the end goal is buy more apple hardware so all you media will work on everything with lovely iTunes and its store on all the devices

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Apple TV 2 comming soon?0