Need some help with my file server.
If you would like to save some $$$ and do a little work, you can run sabnzbd, SB and CP on unRaid (been using one for almost a year now) here's a guide and here on how to run them on unRaid.

If you wanted to go for a Windows box, I would suggest to use FlexRaid on top of windows, which will enable you to create a drive pool out of multiple disk and share it to your network. You'll also have some data protection through their snapshot raid.
WhiteLighter Wrote:If you would like to save some $$$ and do a little work, you can run sabnzbd, SB and CP on unRaid (been using one for almost a year now) here's a guide and here on how to run them on unRaid.

If you wanted to go for a Windows box, I would suggest to use FlexRaid on top of windows, which will enable you to create a drive pool out of multiple disk and share it to your network. You'll also have some data protection through their snapshot raid.

It is a good idea! maybe one day I will do that.. but for now it seems more complicated to do.

So I run SAB and Sickbeard off my pc ....

Movies I transfer them manual to the server.
Sickbeard transfers my tv shows directly to the server.

It just works for me...

Also that way I can keep track how many gigs I download a month.
You see, that seems to me like a lot of work. Sickbeard and Couchpotato both download directly to my server and are configured to auto-update my XBMC library. (complete with fanart, etc). All I do is press the [XBMC] button on my Harmony remote and view New Movies or New Episodes.

Every so often, I'll check my SAB web interface to see where I am towards my 250G ComCr@p cap; SAB keeps track of daily, weekly and monthly download amounts. If I'm close, I stop making requests, if I'm way under, I'll load up my queue.

I do admit though, looking at some of the user interfaces and I have to shudder. But then I remember that they are in fact free and saving me huge amounts of time, so I'm happy and just deal with it.
WhiteLighter Wrote:If you would like to save some $$$ and do a little work, you can run sabnzbd, SB and CP on unRaid (been using one for almost a year now) here's a guide and here on how to run them on unRaid.

Hm, that FlexRaid program looks pretty cool. That's actually exactly what I was looking for.

Is it any good?
I just noticed it runs on the same port (8080) as sabnzbd. Is there a way to change that?
Jorge18 Wrote:I just noticed it runs on the same port (8080) as sabnzbd. Is there a way to change that?
You're talking about FlexRAID? I acutally changed the sab port. I didn't dig into it far enough. I wasn't that committed to the sab port to worry about it at the time.

Concerning FlexRAID, I do like it. It's a bit quirky at times, but it does exactly what I need. I don't need realtime raid and the costs associated with that. I don't want my collection to go belly up due to an odd drive failure, and it gets me into Windows where I'm more comfortable.

It's great for people who have a library already built and just need to consolidate it. I do want to play with the real time raid in the upcoming release, but I don't think I need to go there. I have my snapshot set at every 12 hours which is probably more than enough even for the "important" stuff on there.

As always anything critical should be part of a real backup scheme.
Kirky99 Wrote:You're talking about FlexRAID? I acutally changed the sab port. I didn't dig into it far enough. I wasn't that committed to the sab port to worry about it at the time.

Concerning FlexRAID, I do like it. It's a bit quirky at times, but it does exactly what I need. I don't need realtime raid and the costs associated with that. I don't want my collection to go belly up due to an odd drive failure, and it gets me into Windows where I'm more comfortable.

It's great for people who have a library already built and just need to consolidate it. I do want to play with the real time raid in the upcoming release, but I don't think I need to go there. I have my snapshot set at every 12 hours which is probably more than enough even for the "important" stuff on there.

As always anything critical should be part of a real backup scheme.

Awesome, thanks a lot man. I think you just solved my dilema.
BTW - Found this on changing the FlexRAID port: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/03/26/how-...-flexraid/
Jorge18 Wrote:Hm, that FlexRaid program looks pretty cool. That's actually exactly what I was looking for.

Is it any good?

I haven't really tested it, but I've been planning to convert my unRaid box to Win/FlexRaid so that I can also have the server handle other applications as well (surveillance and security apps, home automation, etc...) but the project has been put on hold because of the recent price hike of HDD.

Jorge18 Wrote:I just noticed it runs on the same port (8080) as sabnzbd. Is there a way to change that?

I know you can change sabnzbd's port somewhere in the settings. I'll look into it tonight.
WhiteLighter Wrote:I haven't really tested it, but I've been planning to convert my unRaid box to Win/FlexRaid so that I can also have the server handle other applications as well (surveillance and security apps, home automation, etc...) but the project has been put on hold because of the recent price hike of HDD.

I know you can change sabnzbd's port somewhere in the settings. I'll look into it tonight.

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing (running x10 active home) so I can also control my lights with my iPad/phone

Yea, there's a setting in the "General tab" to change it.

This price hike on the HDD's is killing me. I'm about to run out of room on my last one.
Do you guys think a single core sempron would suffice for the file server?
Jorge18 Wrote:Do you guys think a single core sempron would suffice for the file server?

Yes, I'm currently running my media server on a sempron 145
Would this be enough?

AMD Sempron 145 Processor
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 1333MHz DDR3
ASRock Socket AM3/AMD 880G/Hybrid CrossFireX/A&V&GbE/MATX Motherboard 880GM-LE

I have a power supply laying around the house that I'm going to use, I believe it's 400w, and I'll use the 4 1.5tb drives I have in the HTPC at the moment.
Jorge18 Wrote:Would this be enough?

I have a power supply laying around the house that I'm going to use, I believe it's 400w, and I'll use the 4 1.5tb drives I have in the HTPC at the moment.

That should be ok.

Jorge18 Wrote:Would this be enough?

CPU and RAM is the same as mine, you should be alright ^_^

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some help with my file server.0