Uncompressed Bluray mkv's?
When XBMC was first ported to the AppleTV 2, I ran out and bought one immediately, jailbroke it, and was basking in XBMC goodness. The only issue I had was uncompressed bluray mkv's (most around 25-40 Gb with DTS audio) would not play. Then Apple did an update which gave access to mlb.tv, so I killed my jailbreak for that feature and have not yet re-jailbroken it.

So, a little more than half a year later, and closer to an official stable release, has this area improved at all? I am not looking to output 1080p, I understand the hardware limitation (and the TV I would connect this to is only 720p anyway) but the ability to play these would be a huge plus... I would rather avoid having to use Playon, Plex, TVersity, etc... to transcode these to the unit.
sdsnyr94 Wrote:When XBMC was first ported to the AppleTV 2, I ran out and bought one immediately, jailbroke it, and was basking in XBMC goodness. The only issue I had was uncompressed bluray mkv's (most around 25-40 Gb with DTS audio) would not play. Then Apple did an update which gave access to mlb.tv, so I killed my jailbreak for that feature and have not yet re-jailbroken it.

So, a little more than half a year later, and closer to an official stable release, has this area improved at all? I am not looking to output 1080p, I understand the hardware limitation (and the TV I would connect this to is only 720p anyway) but the ability to play these would be a huge plus... I would rather avoid having to use Playon, Plex, TVersity, etc... to transcode these to the unit.

Mhhh lets calc a bit ... 40gb in 2h (approx. movie length). This means around 44 MBit/s bitrate. Well without knowing for sure. But i doubt the HW decoder of the ATV2 will ever handle such a high bitrate. And if i'm right, there is nothing that XBMC could change on that fact.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the reply... I figured that it would remain a hardware limitation. I may just setup a Plex server to transcode those movies to the unit.

Quote:And if i'm right, there is nothing that XBMC could change on that fact.

So there is a limit to the Voodoo that you guys can do? I am shocked! Rofl
sdsnyr94 Wrote:Thanks for the reply... I figured that it would remain a hardware limitation. I may just setup a Plex server to transcode those movies to the unit.

So there is a limit to the Voodoo that you guys can do? I am shocked! Rofl

Officially yes ... inofficially - who knows Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Some months ago the first time I have played uncompressed mkv, the movie pauses a lot to buffering.

With the current nightly build, atv can play 30gb mkv without problem. With Wireless you have some pauses(4 or 5) during the movie, but by ethernet you can see the movie without problem.

I believe the Fps are less than in compressed, In some fastest scenes you can see some frames missing, but you can see the movie without problem.
N_F_S Wrote:Some months ago the first time I have played uncompressed mkv, the movie pauses a lot to buffering.

With the current nightly build, atv can play 30gb mkv without problem. With Wireless you have some pauses(4 or 5) during the movie, but by ethernet you can see the movie without problem.

I believe the Fps are less than in compressed, In some fastest scenes you can see some frames missing, but you can see the movie without problem.

Over the weekend I tried one of the latest nightly builds (10-29 I believe)... and there is a huge improvement, as long as I am connected to my soundbar so that the hardware is not strained with the audio. My 38Gb Avatar rip plays (I only let it go for about 5 min) but the video stutters as if it was dropping every couple of frames. This is a huge improvement from my first attempt with this, where I would swear the unit would laugh at me when I attempted to play anything that large.

Great job by the devs.... keep up the great work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Uncompressed Bluray mkv's?0