All I have is .iso, what now?
Hi

Recently bought the ATV2 as a substitute for my WDTV live. I stream from my Synology DS211 over a wired gigabit connection. So, all excited I jailbreaked the ATV2, installed XBMC with high expectations, launched an .iso file only to see it play, but with tiny stops through the whole movie and sometimes buffering on some specific DVDs. So I started viewing this forum and used a lot of time on it (+12 hours) only to come to the conclusion that XBMC can't handle my DVD iso's as i would like. My theory is it is because of the mpeg-2 format or the de-interlacing. I would also like to point out my MKVs work flawlessly, but as 80-90 % of my 160 DVDs are ripped in .iso, I am pretty ****** and I am very close to just throwing the damn thing out the window. I have tried 100's of combinations with sources, sound settings etc. Nothing works.

What are my options? Do I really have to re-encode my whole collection to MKV at this time? Sad
I've read that RC1 of aTV flash Black supports .ISO playback.

Change log for RC1:
Full Changelog

Added grid view and pre-playback view options
Added bulk metadata fetching with growl-like status
Added fetched names in list view
Added hardware decoding for .m2ts files
Added support for embedded subtitles (MKV, M4V, etc...)
Added support for ISO (DVD) files
Added TV Show metadata fetching
Added metadata correction for Movies and TV Shows
Added movie title in Top Shelf (instead of filename)
Added DSI ping for better operation with AFP shares
Added folder tagging
Added metadata view indicator
Added support for metadata overriding using xml files
Added DVD menu buffering
Added support for subtitles with invalid timestamps
Added support for AppleTV 4.4 (iOS 5)
Added subtitle 'Weight' setting
Added option to show/hide local files
Improved data buffering and playback performance
Improved XSUB subtitle support
Improved network error handling
Improved filename parsing for metadata fetching
Improved NAS drives support and increased connection timeout
Improved video loading process
Improved DVD menu handling
Improved playback position detection
Improved memory footprint
Improved SMB share handling
Resolved DVD subtitle issues
Resolved Voiceover related issues
Resolved audio synchronization issues
Resolved problems when streaming from an AirPort Extreme
Resolved AFP related issue when resuming after a long pause
Resolved issues that caused the first subtitle section to be skipped
Resolved performance and crash related issues for certain DVD files
Resolved audio playback issues when the connection to Last.fm fails
Resolved potential issues in shares handling and filename processing
Resolved AFP related crashes
Resolved .dvdmedia extensions and folder images not hiding
Resolved floating crash during metadata fetching
Resolved various cloud backup issues
Many other miscellaneous fixes
Its the de-interlacing then ... atv2 has not enough power for this ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Crap... So my only option is to re-encode my entire collection with Handbrake to MKV? Or is there some clever program that can remove the interlacing without re-encoding the whole movie?

Or will it be able to run the iso's with the aTV flash black?
themoller Wrote:Crap... So my only option is to re-encode my entire collection with Handbrake to MKV? Or is there some clever program that can remove the interlacing without re-encoding the whole movie?

Or will it be able to run the iso's with the aTV flash black?

3 things you can do
1. reencode/deinterlace to deinterlaced format
2. try if flash black can do better
3. wait after eden for the devs to find some speedup
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Oh, just tried something. Made a sample of a DVD iso in Handbrake in MKV format but with the deinterlace filter turned off. Shouldn't this MKV be interlaced too? I can play it without any problem...

EDIT. Okay took a closer look. Seems my DVDs are 25 fps PAL, so this must mean they are not interlaced, right? But then what is the problem?
turn the deinterlacer off explicitly in the video osd for beeing sure...
Turned it off and its still jerky. What i dont understand either is the buffering that happens sometimes when playing certain dvds...
themoller: I'm facing the same issue but in my case we're talking about 600 DVDs Sad
#9 Aww, sorry to hear that. Thats a lot of re-encoding hours Sad

Done some more testing with deinterlacing turned off and it still buffers at the exact same scenes/times as before. I guess this shows that its not the deinterlacing thats causing i, but what then?
If I may:
DVD iso playback seems to be broken in all nightlies after the Oct. 18th. Its the point where the size shrinks from 41M to 38M. I reinstalled the old version yesterday and iso playback is back to normal.
The problem with the newer nightlies is, that they are buffering about every 30 seconds.

Cheers
Umtauscher
umtauscher Wrote:If I may:
DVD iso playback seems to be broken in all nightlies after the Oct. 18th. Its the point where the size shrinks from 41M to 38M. I reinstalled the old version yesterday and iso playback is back to normal.
The problem with the newer nightlies is, that they are buffering about every 30 seconds.

Cheers
Umtauscher

now we are talking ...

are you sure that the issue first appeared in http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...r-atv2.deb ? or the one after that?
Okay, so i installed the nightly you link to, Memphiz and everything works wonderful. I have no buffering at all and no stuttering/small stops. Obviously there must be something wrong with the DVD iso playback in nightlys newer than this one...
I can only test the http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin...r-atv2.deb version. The versions after that don't start, I suppose because I am using the mysql setup. Versions after that was resolved show the buffering problem.
I just tested the build of 29th and it shows buffering problems.
Hi,

with the nighly build from Oct. 18th also for me now everything works fine again. This is already great - I can use my ATV2 again :-)
I also browsed through Github. On 19th there was some update to the way ffmpeg is started (neon). Could this be the reason, that now it feels like only hardware-decoding is working? The fix was for iOS5, I am on 4.2.2.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/8f95...c1cb6f6030
Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
All I have is .iso, what now?0