Windowed mode only way to keep XBMC from losing focus?
Hmm, if DSPlayer won't remember the position or which subs I picked or whether they're enabled or disabled per movie, I think I might as well just use MPC as my default player. Guess I better get to scripting again.

Such a bummer XBMC has such terrible performance with its player, as its actual features and usability are great.

Thanks again for all the help.
DSPlayer will remember whether a movie has subs enabled or disabled on a per movie basis it wont remember the subtitle track but as I said you can set haali or lav splitter to always select your chosen language so there's no need to actually select it, lav splitter also has automatic forced sub selection

For example you set "Ger" it will always use German without you doing anything
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
In my tests of the latest DSPlayer build it was not remembering whether or not subtitles were enabled. I'll try again later. I also had a bug someone else mentioned where after the video ended or was stopped, it would simply start itself again in an endless loop.

In any case, at this point, I suppose I should take my posts on this topic over to the DSPLayer thread.
Try Rev#553d719 because it definitely works using that and its basically the same as Dharma but with a couple of extra features that where added after Dharma was released Smile

I've not had any bugs using that build
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:Try Rev#553d719 because it definitely works using that and its basically the same as Dharma but with a couple of extra features that where added after Dharma was released Smile

I've not had any bugs using that build

Where can I find that revision? I spoke too soon. Most of the time I can't get anything to play at all with Dsplayer, the screen goes black briefly and then just returns to the list.

Also, does DSPlayer follow the audio outputs set in the system menu? On one of the occasions I got it to play something, ffdshow audio decoder opened properly and said it was playing, but I heard nothing out of the speakers it was supposed to be outputting from -- the ones that the XBMC system sounds correctly came out of.
I put a link to that build in the post above and no the audio settings in XBMC don't have any effect when using DSPlayer you need to configure those in whatever codec you use for audio so ffdshow if that's what its using
>>X<<' Wrote:I put a link to that build in the post above and no the audio settings in XBMC don't have any effect when using DSPlayer you need to configure those in whatever codec you use for audio so ffdshow if that's what its using

Ah, okay. I think I'll be better off just using MPC-HC then, if I'm having difficulty with DSPLayer and it won't follow subtitle selection/position or audio outputs anyway.
Like I said audio output is configured in the codec/filter config if your using ffdshow you would need to run "Audio Decoder Configuration" from programs and then enable/select "Output" and make sure "Mixer" isn't enabled unless you have a reason to use it

If you changed the audio filter to the one used by MPC-HC and your using that filter for audio already in MPC-HC it wouldn't need to be configured it would automatically use the same settings
What I mean is that with DVDPLayer, since it honors the video and audio output settings of XBMC, I can have an autohotkey script that will -- depending on which display I want XBMC to start -- write advancedsettings.xml with the correct video (pc, tv, projector) and audio (pc, tv, receiver) outputs and then launch XBMC. All movies will then output sound and video to the correct thing.

With DSPLayer, if it's not going to honor XBMC's audio output settings, then I need additional scripting to setup the output of ffdshow on XBMC startup, to make sure movie sound will come out of the correct speakers depending on which display I'm using.

So if I'm not getting the advantage of having the player truly integrated into XBMC, i.e. completely honoring settings like audio output and subtitle position, then I'm not sure what the advantage to me of using DSPLayer over MPC-HC would be. I already know that MPC plays everything 100% perfectly, windowed, no hardware acceleration, subtitles correctly positioned.

It's really frustrating that XBMC's built-in player has the worst performance of any player out there.
As you know exactly what you want I'll leave things there

jubilex Wrote:It's really frustrating that XBMC's built-in player has the worst performance of any player out there.

Well this must be system dependant because I don't have any of your problems with the default player in windowed mode or full screen except occasionally after using skip or seek but it corrects itself almost straight away
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
No problem

If your are talking about the actual output device to use for audio then you can set this for DSPlayer its located in XBMC in Settings > Video > DSPlayer

I would have thought it would have been easier to setup control of output device through windows which is exactly what I do for audio, I'm not aware of any setting to do this in advancedsettings.xml anyway
Yes, I'm talking about the settings in the audio output menu of the system settings -- device, channels, analog/hdmi/spdif. All of these can be set in advancedsettings.xml, which is what I'm doing and which works fine -- my autohotkey script writes the appropriate settings to the file when I hit the button on my remote for a particular display, then launches XBMC, and audio is sent to the correct device (PC speakers, tv speakers, or surround receiver).

If DSPlayer will follow those settings, then I will give it some more effort tonight after work.
jubilex Wrote:Yes, I'm talking about the settings in the audio output menu of the system settings -- device, channels, analog/hdmi/spdif. All of these can be set in advancedsettings.xml

Really I must be going blind :confused2:

You could control those in windows which is what I do using "soundswitch" I use it to switch between analogue and spdif, but I'm pretty sure there are already scripts for doing this using Autohotkey
Just tried the older version you recommended. It works, but performance is still bad, even though CPU shows 55% or less. Changed filter so it would use ffdshow -- the same ffmpeg-mt I've been using since early 2010 -- and performance is still bad.

Switched to Dharma, set it up to use MPC-HC -- the player I've been using for years -- and performance is STILL bad. Yes, using the SAME player, the SAME filters, the SAME hardware, performance is still choppy.

Switched to Meedios, which launches that SAME MPC-HC, and performance with the same movie is flawless, as it has been for years.

It's too bad, I love the XBMC skins, I love the functionality, but if it can't even play movies smoothly and reliably -- even using the exact same players/filters I always use -- it's worthless to me.

edit: set XBMC to use windowed mode and now MPC-HC seems to playback correctly. Thank god, I was ready to throw my computer out the window. Still bummed that I can't take advantage of XBMC remembering subtitle settings per movie, plus bookmarks, but at least I can watch movies again.

edit2: lol, I spoke too soon once again. Get a weird tear/flicker intermittently in the lower part of the video screen when using MPC-HC as external player. When playing the video directly in MPC without launching from XBMC, or when launched by Meedios, naturally it plays perfectly.

XBMC is bound and determined to make movies unwatchable on my system no matter what contortions I go through to try to make it work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windowed mode only way to keep XBMC from losing focus?0