Windowed mode only way to keep XBMC from losing focus?
You should read http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798
Read all that. I run my box 24/7. Windows update runs once a week in the early hours, so only one restart a week. I have my screen saver set to blank which turns off graphics and lets my plasma tv go to sleep. It's now become my main PC and server. Media Player streams to other boxes. This is not a dedicated XBMC machine which (unless I'm missing something), I believe the above thread is more aimed at. I just load xbmc to watch a movie or tv catchup then exit again.
Ah, but you could use it. You don't have to make XBMCLauncher replace explorer.exe, or even launch on startup, but you could have your shortcut to XBMC point to XBMCLauncher instead of XBMC itself. That way, you'd have a guaranteed focused XBMC session (in theory), and then just close XBMCLauncher from the systray when you're done (there may even be a way to automate that via AHK, I don't know). Worth a shot.
Thanks. Will give it a go.
Amazing, perfect helper program. How is that not the first result when you search for "focus" on the forums?
Well sadly the launcher doesn't help if you want to have a Windows PC rather than an XBMC machine. If you run the launcher from within explorer it does not stop focus being lost, but it does take it back again automatically. However watching the desktop for up to 10 seconds part way through a movie is still a little frustrating. With a few exceptions I've now managed to resolve lip-sync issues with my MKVs in Windows Media Player, so until this issue is resolved properly in XBMC I'll have to forgo all the lovely GUI stuff.
Found this was happening to me often, due to virus scanner popping an advertisement up.

Found a solution to shut down a pop up window, automatically. There is an application that you can use that will shut these annoying lost focus windows down in 100 milliseconds. Plenty of time, and does not cause much disruption of the playing video.

Will post the tool name later today. It is called CLICKOFF and it will take the window that is the current focus, and automatically click either the radio button, or the title bar and shut down that app. seems to work for me.
There are no balloons, no pop-ups, no notifications, just the desktop. Scheduled tasks are around 02:00 with no repeats. It's a mystery.
AMD system?
Intel Atom, Nvidia Ion.
My system is suffering from this too - it seems quite a recent thing. Windows 7 seems to be grabbing focus a lot more than it used to but I can't work out why as I haven't really changed anything. There are never actually any popups or anything, it just returns to the desktop.

I've tried the XBMC launcher tool but it takes over my system too much, launching XBMC at startup and resume, which I don't want to do.
(2012-11-05, 00:51)ears Wrote: I've tried the XBMC launcher tool but it takes over my system too much, launching XBMC at startup and resume, which I don't want to do.

You can edit the XBMC launcher script file to disable xbmc startup at windows start and resume. I'm thinking of adding this feature to xbmclauncher. Stay tuned.
Bit of an update on this - I bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 8.

The problem with losing focus appears to have gone away.

Some other nice improvements too - like the start UI screen being controllable with my remote control.
Yes windows 8 seems to handle XBMC on an extended desktop far better than windows 7.
Well other programs just don't do lip sync as well as XBMC so finally decided to update my Revo with a clean install of Win 8 and no success. Still loses focus, I thought it might be something to do with desktop background slideshow but changed it to a single picture and still loses focus. All very frustrating.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windowed mode only way to keep XBMC from losing focus?0