[MAC] Newb to HTPCs, please help!
Hey All,

So here I am, the token new guy with no clue WTF he's doing or where to start. I am in the market for an HTPC, but don't want to get ripped off, and have a somewhat unique design in mind. If you haven't seen it, Will Urbina designed a custom built Mac that runs 3 different operating systems and rivals any Apple Built MacPro tower. And he built it all into an XBox developer's kit model (http://www.willudesign.com/osxboxproTop.html). I'm not looking for anything nearly AS powerful, expensive, or wild. However, he did pique my desire to use my old XBox as the shell for this build. So what I have in mind is this:

- Custom Built Xbox case
- 2 or more 2tb HDs
- BluRay drive utilizing optical disc drive tray
- Controller ports refitted with USB 2.0 ports
- 2 Bilingual ports on rear for expansion via external HD/Raid
- Bluetooth for keyboard, mouse, headset, etc.
- HDMI 1 In/1 Out and Digital Optical Audio 1 In/1 Out
- Ethernet and WiFi capable
- Optimal cooling and breathability
- TV Tuner Card
- Powerful Sound and Video Card
- OS X 10.7 Lion w/Front Row

Basically, as long as I can watch my movie and tv show collections, listen to music, and anything else I want to do on my Mac without having to get off the couch or use my MacBook Pro, PS3 or XBox 360, I'm happy. I just want to do so in style. Let me know what you guys think, or if any of you know someone who can make this happen! Much appreciated!

Dan Solo
Quote:- Custom Built Xbox case
- Optimal cooling and breathability
No

But seriously, I think its an awesome idea and it will end up working great Wink

I'd start by checking out this site for a xbox case if you don't already have one.
Otherwise you could pickup an xbox for $10-$20 on craigslist.

You could also checkout the xbmc4xbox forums for people that do xbox case mods. They have really detailed guides, like this one on converting the controller port to USB

Another resource could be this post on Zotac forums, it's a very similar project to yours.

For your components I'd first check out this forum post to determine which group you are in, to figure out what types of things you'll need to buy.

Good luck!
Let me say this from years of experience trying:

Hackintoshes SUCK for HTPCs.

Due to the drivers, it ends up being the largest pain ever to get the HDMI audio to work 100% (as in ALWAYS bitstream properly) unless you buy a bunch of hardware that is obsolete now. You can check my credentials- I am all over the hackintosh forum and I have the longest running hackintosh thread in the Plex forum.

If you want a Lion HTPC, buy a Mac Mini. Period. An older model with Nvidia is better, and less expensive.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Let me say this from years of experience trying:

Due to the drivers, it ends up being the largest pain ever to get the HDMI audio to work 100% (as in ALWAYS bitstream properly) unless you buy a bunch of hardware that is obsolete now. You can check my credentials- I am all over the hackintosh forum and I have the longest running hackintosh thread in the Plex forum.

If you want a Lion HTPC, buy a Mac Mini. Period. An older model with Nvidia is better, and less expensive.

bitstreaming is possible with the right hardware and guides

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16...5815f17523

but I do agree with you, it may just be too finicky to uses as a proper HTPC
yeah stay away
poofyhairguy Wrote:Let me say this from years of experience trying:

My priority is not necessarily to have Lion, but I'd like to buy the LEAST EXPENSIVE Mac Mini I can buy that would be equivalent to the ATV 1 for XBMC (with or without original MacOSX or CrystalBuntu).

The question is how old of a Mac Mini should I go for?
What kind of hardware minimal? (to be Group 2/3)
Any tests/ examples / benchmarks/ usage experience of older Mac Mini hardware (w or w/o modification / updates) ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Newb to HTPCs, please help!0