HTPC Spec Up
Hey all,

I am looking to build a dedicated htpc which would only be used for streaming movies from my NAS.

In the future im hoping ill be able to run muliple instances of xbmc for different rooms which I believe is possible on linux? but for now I will probably just get a HDMI switch and cables going to different rooms.

Below is the spec I have put together so far. Would really appreciate some feedback or alternatives for parts.

I have a couple of HDDs lying around so no need to spec that and ill just get a cheap old case as it will be kept in the garage at all times so not bothered about appearance.

I will also need a remote control which I could use but it needs to work through walls and about 20m so if anyone knows of a good one, please suggest away Smile.

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz Quad Core Processor
It says on the page it includes a fan but I read somewhere that the black editions dont come with coolers?:S
http://www.cclonline.com/product/26599/H...r/CPU0006/

GPU
Sapphire 11190-02-20G HD 6450 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Could someone tell me if these will work on Linux? I want the HTPC to be 3d capable.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11190-0...899&sr=1-1

Motherboard
ASRock AM3 M3A770DE/A/ASR Motherboard Socket S/L 5200MT/S
Like the optical and coaxial digital audio out, plus the instant boot seems a great feature as you dont want to be waiting a few mins for a HTPC to turn on
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LFYYAY/re...B002LFYYAY

RAM
Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-%282x...4-xmp-165v

Thanks for the help in advance!
That CPU is powerful for an XBMC box. If you would like to save, you can move to just a dual core CPU.

I haven't really experienced it, but they say the ATI cards are experiencing some issues with linux. You might want to do a reading on that.
WhiteLighter Wrote:ATI cards are experiencing some issues with linux

lets say that if you dont like HeadAches, just get an Nvidia video card....
WhiteLighter Wrote:That CPU is powerful for an XBMC box. If you would like to save, you can move to just a dual core CPU.

I haven't really experienced it, but they say the ATI cards are experiencing some issues with linux. You might want to do a reading on that.

yer the thinking behind the cpu was to future proof for running multiple instances of XBMC smoothly. Also, im getting the CPU as a present Rolleyes
I did read some comments about ATIs not playing nice with linux. can anyone think of any alternatives which will be able to accelerate 1080p 3D?
amavadia Wrote:I did read some comments about ATIs not playing nice with linux. can anyone think of any alternatives which will be able to accelerate 1080p 3D?
how about this one- ASUS ENGT440 for linux or stay with ati theme for windows 7.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:how about this one- ASUS ENGT440 for linux or stay with ati theme for windows 7.

Thanks bluray but anything a bit cheaper out there? Its about double the price of the one I was orignally looking at.

Ideally I would like it to support windows and linux because im not 100% sure which I will be sticking with.
amavadia Wrote:Thanks bluray but anything a bit cheaper out there? Its about double the price of the one I was orignally looking at.

Ideally I would like it to support windows and linux because im not 100% sure which I will be sticking with.
for what you need it for, this $49 gpu should do- PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
amavadia Wrote:yer the thinking behind the cpu was to future proof for running multiple instances of XBMC smoothly. Also, im getting the CPU as a present Rolleyes

I don't think you can run multiple instances of XBMC in a single box.
bluray Wrote:for what you need it for, this $49 gpu should do- PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430

hmm that one seems to be rare over the pond here. The only place I found it was really expensive. Ill have another look tomorrow but what are the specs that I would be looking for in a GPU?
WhiteLighter Wrote:I don't think you can run multiple instances of XBMC in a single box.

I know this is quite old but I was looking over at this thread. Maybe things have changed since then?
amavadia Wrote:I know this is quite old but I was looking over at this thread. Maybe things have changed since then?

Well, I cannot vouch for linux for I am not a linux guy Big Grin maybe you can ask again on that thread to double check.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Spec Up0