Right way to move a library from one system to another
Hey guys, I'm afraid I need your help.
I've been using XBMC Live until now and whenever I wanted to reinstall or something like that I just copied the .xbmc folder and all my (media sitting on a local partition) was on display again.
Now I really want to try OpenELEC, but this I came around one problem: I can't just copy the .xbmc folder (well, I could, but it would make no sense), as the whole file system is organzied differently and therefore the links would match. Ok, no biggie, so you just export and import your DB within XBMC (into on file, as I don't the nfo style) and define the folders as done way back then. That did work for me, but somehow some TV show episode thumbnails were missing. So I let XBMC clean the library and Shocked all the content is gone. Kinda strange, because XBMC could find and play the imported content, but somehow it didn't like it that much, I guess. Big Grin

Long story short: What am I missing? What is the right way to move a library, pointing to files on a local partition (no NAS, SMB, ...), from one system to another?

Any help from you is appreciated. Wink
The problem is the paths to the video files changing. If you just copy the .xbmc folder or you export to single file you'll keep the old paths. If you're going to change the paths the only way is an export to multiple files. This will write .nfo files for all your films, so when you rescan XBMC can just read the nfo files.

JR
Ok, so I really do have a problem. Big Grin AFAIK it is not possible to keep the watched status with multiple (nfo) files. Sad Well, I guess I'll have to alter my db to a SMB share (even though the data remains on a local disk), then I won't run into these kinds of problems any more.
Thanks anyway!
TheHazel3yes Wrote:Ok, so I really do have a problem. Big Grin AFAIK it is not possible to keep the watched status with multiple (nfo) files. Sad Well, I guess I'll have to alter my db to a SMB share (even though the data remains on a local disk), then I won't run into these kinds of problems any more.
Thanks anyway!

<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>

in your advancedsettings.xml will import the watched state from the .nfo files. Problem solved? Smile
I didn't know that, thank you! It's too late for me though, as I already invested some time to mark my movies and TV shows manually again. Confused

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Right way to move a library from one system to another0