Android how do I slow down the internet speed?
Hi, I am new with and android box and Kodi and was wondering if there is a way to slow down the speed that shows stream in at. I have set the internet speed as low as it will go in Kodi, I think that is 512 kbps. Now if I watch an one hour show it uses up 2 gb which I think is wrong. I am using the Kodi 16.1 rc seeing that is what came with the box.
The speed has nothing to do with how much data is consumed overall, and 2Gb for an hour sounds reasonable if it's higher quality.

But the question I have to ask is where are you getting your stream from? Via a PVR (wiki) or via an add-on, and in either case which one?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I am getting my stream from an addon. The android box is hardwired to the internet. But if 2 gb an hour is a reasonable usage then I will have to live with it.
I only thought that like with Netflix that lowering the speed would cut down on the internet usage. I only get 150 gb a month to use so I better start watching streams with a lower quality display.
Thank you for the answer..
(2017-02-14, 22:53)Selohssa Wrote: I am getting my stream from an addon. The android box is hardwired to the internet. But if 2 gb an hour is a reasonable usage then I will have to live with it.
I only thought that like with Netflix that lowering the speed would cut down on the internet usage. I only get 150 gb a month to use so I better start watching streams with a lower quality display.
Thank you for the answer..

You are still confused.

Firtsly, legitimate services such as Netflix and Amazon video use "dynamic streaming" which yes, will adjust the bitrate / resolution of your stream ON THE FLY to suit slower internet connections. This is what you are getting at but:

You will not find this in Kodi add-ons (especially if you are using less than legitimate add-ons). Some legitimate 3rd party add-ons offer settings to specify the resolution or bitrate of the stream, such as the BBC iPlayer add-on or the Jupiter Broadcasting add-on, but most will just be playing a a static fixed file which is the size and resolution that it is. It doesn't matter how fast your internet is.

Secondly, the quality or size of your display is also irrelevant for the same reasons. The file is what it is. If you stream a 4K video to your 4 inch 720p phone screen the file is still 4K and probably multiple gigbytes in size.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Internet speed has nothing to do with this problem but if you still want to slow down the speed of your internet do this.
Firstly, you have to create a local VPN file. You don’t need to connect it to any external server. Program it to slow down the global bandwidth of the phone. This will only work if you know the coding of Android.
If you are not familiar with Android coding, there are apps for the same thing. Network limiter apps will help you solve this problem.
After limiting the speed of your internet, you can check it here for more details and for accurate results allspeedtest.com
(2021-01-16, 18:19)kenneth889 Wrote: Internet speed has nothing to do with this problem

I'm wondering why you are responding to a 4 yr old forum thread.
Also by now, there is a VPN policy (wiki) active on this forum.
Linking to a speedtest website is a bit unnecessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how do I slow down the internet speed?0