• 8(current)
3D Full SBS (3840x1080)... Success!
So what was the conclusion.
Was it possible to get full SBS within XBMC on an active 3D TV?
I have a Samsung and Panasonic Plasma and would like to know if it can be done.
I have never been able to do full SBS. I always get a 3840 X 1080 file which displays in 2D side by side instead of a 3D image, and no trying to switch the TV to 3D doesn't work. If I change the file header, I just get a squeezed image, so I always just let DVD Fab do it HSBS.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
May be just as well. From what I have been reading, Kodi can play full SBS but it plays it as half SBS. Maybe that's why I can't see much difference.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Using KODI 14.0 ALPHA 3 ripped at 2160p (3840x2040)
Note: When taking a snapshot it displays as 2 SBS pictures although everything is actually in the fully automated 3D mode rendering perfectly with no gpu/cpu strain.
If you rip using Full SBS, you will have to edit 1 header or you get the "squeezed image". Make sure you are editing the correct header.
You will also only obtain 3840x1080 @ 1080p.
If you rip in 4k mode, there is no Full SBS option. Only Half SBS or TAB but, once it's complete, you will have 3840x2040 @ 2160p and you won't need to edit any header(s).
It takes much longer but you can see the results.
Also, the original is about 43 GB. After ripping to .mkv and stripping audio/subtitles it ended up at 63 GB.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Did you adjust your headers? That's how I fixed mine anyway.

Edit: file may need to be named properly movietitle (year).3d.sbs.extension. According to the 3d wiki either method should result in 3d playback but I still had to correct the resolution in the file headers.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Ok, so just to summarise: Is it possible to watch Full SBS on OpenElec without any loss of quality compared to the original 3D Blu Ray?
Most full sbs files will be compressed from the original mkv, so there will be a quality reduction. Whether you will notice that is very subjective.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I've been very confused on this. For instance, I go to rip a movie and it selects 1920 X 800. This is with hsbs selected. If I select fsbs I get 3840 X 1600. I've tried editing the headers but I never get a proper picture. Fsbs should be 1920 X 1080 afaik but if I select that, the picture gets distorted plus I usually get 2 videos running side by side and it doesn't go into stereoscopic mode. After comparing my hsbs rips to the actual disc in my 3D bd player, I don't really notice a difference so I decided to stop and just keep ripping hsbs. If there's a better guide, I'd love to see it.

On a side note, I wonder why DVDFab only does h264 for 3D and won't do uncompressed...
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
The movie is compressed with h264 anyway, it is a matter I guess of whether any more compression is applied.

Putting aside 3D for a moment, many 1080p movies will actually be 1920x800 (or thereabouts) because the movie's original aspect ratio is 2.4:1 (1920/800=2.4). If the stream was actually 1080 pixels high it would need to be 2592 pixels wide to maintain that aspect ratio. (1080x2.4=2592).

An HSBS 3D rip of that aspect movie will contain two pictures per frame, each 960x800, or a total framesize of 1920x800.

An FSBS 3D rip of that aspect movie will contain two pictures per frame, each 1920x800, or a total framesize of 3840x800.

Quite what your ripping software is doing (and why), I do not know. Is there a forum for DVDFAb?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
AFAIK, Fab will do uncompressed. Look closely at my pics above. Don't use the preset or the slider for bitrate. Type in a few 9's and you'll see the size eventually grow to pure fully uncompressed. Use the 4k mode ripped in mkv container and then you don't need to edit any headers. 4k also doubles resolution horizontal AND vertical hence why a 43GB title rips to 63GB @ 2160p - 3840x2040 as documented in the codec info of the pics. Yes, the visual is noticeable. Yes, it takes a long time. Yes, you need a strong CPU to rip. No, the CPU/GPU is not stressed during playback. No, nothing special to render 3D. I click the title, it opens, my 3D add-on for my Samsung switches to 3D SBS mode, and it proceeds to play perfectly. I used external players in the past that also performed flawless but there is no need anymore now that KODI is cooperating. I used the external to play the rip in an iso container @ 1920x1080, something KODI player cannot do. Just as well because putting the rip in an mkv is KODI player friendly and allows to double the resolution for each eye, something the iso doesn't. Presently I'm using Helix Alpha 5 nightly but it worked on previous versions as well. FWIW, I can also select the Dolby Atmos track with no problems internal or external player. May have to do with the nightly because when I took the screenshots, I was limited to the version I was running at that time and had to select the 5.1 AC3 track... but not anymore : ) I'm no expert and can stand to be corrected on any of this.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Having just gotten a 3d projector, I've been trying to get XBMC 13.2 (Windows) to play SBS 3d files too. I have had some success, but there are 2 problems I can't figure out.

1. A 720p Half SBS file will always display with the vertical component squished.

2. A 1080p SBS file will always display at a lower resolution than 1080p. You can even see that the XBMC UI has become more pixellated. It seems that what happens is I get a full 1080p frame split into 2 SBS frames plus 2 copies of the UI. When I tell my projector to go into SBS 3d mode, it is apparently using half the 1080p frame for each eye.

If anyone has a lead on those issues, I would appreciate it. I did check and edit my headers, btw, thank you wgstarks. That seemed to be part of the problem but honestly it is still pretty confusing.

Do people generally set the Windows desktop to a 3d-compatible mode, or try to do mode switching inside XBMC? The 3 resolution settings that make sense for me are:

1080p60 -- Basic Windows desktop and all 2d XBMC uses
1080p24 -- Only 3d refresh rate allowed for 1080p, since this is an HDMI 1.4 display
720p60 -- Only 3d refresh rate that works for 720p

There is also the "allow stereoscopic display" in the adapter settings. Should we turn that on prior to starting XBMC?
You shouldn't have to adjust anything in windows or your gpu settings, etc. Kodi does all the auto switching the moment you press play provided your titles are properly named and the adjustments in Kodi are set to your needs. If 3D mode on your projector is not automated, you will have to set it manually. 720p should also render at 24Hz and not be limited to 60Hz.

Thanks for that info... I'm using Gotham right now, sounds like waiting for Kodi would be a good idea.
I updated to Kodi beta last night, and after fixing a couple of settings SBS 3d seems to be working pretty well. I would advise anyone playing with 3d to abandon Gotham... Bite the bullet and upgrade.

Full SBS seems to be rendering at less than full resolution, though--they look like HSBS files. I have seen mixed reports on this... Some say it is how it is for now, others say they are getting full resolution rendering.
(2014-11-09, 22:30)horseflesh Wrote: I updated to Kodi beta last night, and after fixing a couple of settings SBS 3d seems to be working pretty well. I would advise anyone playing with 3d to abandon Gotham... Bite the bullet and upgrade.

Full SBS seems to be rendering at less than full resolution, though--they look like HSBS files. I have seen mixed reports on this... Some say it is how it is for now, others say they are getting full resolution rendering.

Do embedded subs render properly with the 3D movies in 2D?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D Full SBS (3840x1080)... Success!0