Project Musical Fidelity hifi to htpc build
Hi guys..

As you guys have provided so much input into my build, I thought I would share it with you.

First the hardware list

350W PSU, Be Quiet BN134
Asus P8H61-M PRO
Intel Core i3 2120 CPU
Scythe Shuriken BIG 120mm CPU cooler
Sony AD-7690H Slot DVD±R
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Ram
64GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SSD
Imon VFD/IR receiver
Logitech Edge keyboard mouse
and most important, the gorgeous Musical Fidelity a3.2 CD player

A few years ago, I was able to pick up some dummy display shells for the entire A3.2 range. Basically the complete cases missing the internal electronics used for display purposes. I have the CD player, Tuner, and Amp.

I plan to use the Amp chassis for a later NAS project. I chose to use the CD player this time round purely because of the CD tray and the appropriate media buttons.

So lets begin.

Ask a responsible adult to crack out an angle grinder and cut a large hole in the back. I choose to cut a large hole and replace the back piece to remove unwanted holes left over from the cd player

Next, I got a sheet of 1mm aluminium (much easier to work with than steel) and I cut holes for the ATX IO plate and power supply. I glued the sheet to the back of the case and also folded the edges over of the holes I had cut to give nicer edges and to help secure the panel

I gave the back panel a quick rub with steel wool to get a nice brushed effect. I didnt spend too much time on it as its the back and I was short on time

I mounted the mobo on PCB stand offs that I screwed to the case from underneath then the board on top.

To mount the VFD, I cut the board for the original VFD that came with the CD player leaving just the buttons. I then mounted the Imon VFD behind the window, using the aluminium to make brackets. I have the optional button board for the Imon VFD so at a later date, I can wire the case buttons to the imon button board if I feel I need them.

SSD is attached to the side of the case with velcro tape

The CD tray for the player is narrower than a standard PC CD drive so I decided to go with a slot loader.

The slot load drive was wider than the slot in the front of the case so I removed the trim ring, filed to opening to match the drive and push fitted it in. I also created a shelf from the aluminium sheet and glued to the back of the front face below the drive to support the weight.

I am waiting for some 6mm aluminium to arrive so I can make a new trim ring to hide the drive

I then took the lid of the amp case I had as it had nice vent holes along to top and refitted.

All fired up

Todo :
  • Make a trim ring for the dvd drive
  • Optional, wire up the media buttons
  • Optional, wire up the power button (although happy with remote on at the moment)

Software build so far.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Latest release XBMC + Aeon Nox
Asus Mobo drivers
Imon Manager
XBMC to Imon plugin
Keyboard helper software

Result, fully working XBMC capable of full playback of HD 1080p content with no visible defects

Remote power on from cold, One button boot to XBMC from stand by (media button on keyboard or remote)

software todo:

Todo :
  • Configure XBMC to work with Harmony one remote
  • Finish configuring Aeon Nox Skin
  • Figure out how to use XBMC properly (previous media centre user) Currently not all my TV shows are being shown in the library. Dont know why

Great idea... you might be on to to something here!
Optoma HD Projector, Panasonic TX-P65VT65 Plasma, Pioneer SC2023 AVR, Kef Q65 main, iQ8ds rear, XQ2C centre, XBOX 360 Elite, Samsung LE40C650, SKY HD, Lutron Lighting, Crestron AV2 control

(Server)CPU - AMD Phenom ii 560, MB - M4A78LT-M, 32GB Corsair SSD, 4GB Corsair DDR3, 6x 1.5TB HDD's

XBMC Clients x2 (DSPlayer)
loads of spares/repair cd players on ebay Wink

loads of cool retro stereos too
Extremely bad-ass....thanks for sharing.
just to add, its very simple to do.. There is about a days work in the above.

The hardest part is making sure all the measurements are correct for the cutouts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Project Musical Fidelity hifi to htpc build0