Lost all my settings... randomly???
Question 
The other day I started up the HTPC, everything booted normally... but ALL my settings were gone. It was almost like a fresh install of XBMC.

My libraries were intact (phew!), but XBMC had defaulted back to the Confluence skin, I usually use Neon. Even after switching back to my usual skin none of the tweaks were there... None of the custom home screen items, none of the custom home screen backdrops, none of the skin-specific settings remained. Everything appears to have gone back to the XBMC default -except, again, my libraries remained intact.

This has happened before, but I can't figure out why...I hadn't changed or even tweaked anything in months. Things will work fine for days or weeks, then all of a sudden the settings have jumped back to the default.

Crazy!

If anyone has any idea what might cause this I would really appreciate the help...

I'm running the latest stable Dharma release, 10.1. The usual skin is Neon.
The system specs: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit; INTEL Core i5 760; GIGABYTE GA-H55; G-SKILL Ripjaw 2 x 4GB; MSI GeForce GT 430; 120 GB OCZ Vertex II SSD;
The settings are stored in a file called guisettings.xml, which is in %appdata%\xbmc\userdata. Maybe something is causing this file to get deleted or corrupted. Possibly a crash when XBMC is trying to write the file.

If I deliberately delete my guisettings.xml then run XBMC my log shows:

Code:
NOTICE: loading special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml
ERROR: special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml, Line 0 Failed to open file
ERROR: Unable to load special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml, creating new special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml with default values

Next time you lose the settings have a look at xbmc.log and see if it shows anything.

JR
Thanks jhsrennie for the help... I'll check to see what I can find out!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lost all my settings... randomly???0