Going from no folders to folders.
Hey guys,

I'm re-doing my whole HTPC system and I'm going from having my movies in no folders (i.e. - C:/movies and all of my movies are in there) to having them in folders. The reason for the switch is because I started using couchpotato and that's how it does it so I need everything else to follow suit.

Is there a program or something that can help me either automate this process, or simply make it a lot faster than manually creating folders?
Heya Jorge I've been meaning to register here for ages and you've inspired me with a question I can answer. (Yay for me!)

Three options (all for Windows, sorry) I know of:

1) Make a .bat file, copy the following into a new text file:

@echo off
for %%a in (*.*) do (
md "%%~na" 2>nul
move "%%a" "%%~na"
)

Name it "files_to_folders.bat" or something, place it in the same folder as the files you want to 'folderise' (ie C:\movies) and run it.

2) Download 'Files2folder' from Skwire & run it. Now you can highlight a group of files, right click > Files 2 Folder > 2nd option to move them all to individual folders.

3) Use one of the fancier media renamers, my fave is just TheRenamer. Way overpowered for what you're after but it's pretty easy to configure and useful to have around regardless. It'll tidy up a filename like:
Insidious 2011 720p RC BDRip XviD AC3 FLAWL3SS.mkv
to something like:
Insidious (2011) 720p.mkv
which, depending on the state of your library can be nice...

Hope that helps!
MidKnight66 Wrote:Heya Jorge I've been meaning to register here for ages and you've inspired me with a question I can answer. (Yay for me!)

Three options (all for Windows, sorry) I know of:

1) Make a .bat file, copy the following into a new text file:

@echo off
for %%a in (*.*) do (
md "%%~na" 2>nul
move "%%a" "%%~na"
)

Name it "files_to_folders.bat" or something, place it in the same folder as the files you want to 'folderise' (ie C:\movies) and run it.

2) Download 'Files2folder' from Skwire & run it. Now you can highlight a group of files, right click > Files 2 Folder > 2nd option to move them all to individual folders.

3) Use one of the fancier media renamers, my fave is just TheRenamer. Way overpowered for what you're after but it's pretty easy to configure and useful to have around regardless. It'll tidy up a filename like:
Insidious 2011 720p RC BDRip XviD AC3 FLAWL3SS.mkv
to something like:
Insidious (2011) 720p.mkv
which, depending on the state of your library can be nice...

Hope that helps!

Wow, strong first post!

Thank you so much. Will try these when I get home.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going from no folders to folders.0