Inconsistencies in Keymaps
I'm using EventGhost and the XBCM2 plugin. Correct me if I am wrong but XBMC2 plugin is using an XBMC API so control XBMC.

The question that I have is that one of the actions "SkipPrevious" seeks backwards instead of going back to the previous media item. I can make it go back, but it requires 2 or 3 key presses. This seems redundant as there are existing actions to seek. In addition, this is inconsistent with the action "SkipNext" which skips to the next item in the playlist.

Another inconsistency is that these two actions performs differently when playing music or a video. When playing music the "SkipNext" and "SkipPrevious" changes the song. When playing a video the "SkipNext" just stops the video and returns me to the previous menu and "SkipPrevious" seeks to the beginning of the video.

It also seems that the "Back" and "Close" function makes the video seek backwards, which doesn't make sense.

Is there any way I can fix this?
From memory, SkipPrevious first skips to the beginning of whatever is playing, and if you press it again (quickly so you're still at the beginning of the media) it will skip to the previous track.

Music and Video use different players, and there is a difference in the way they handle SkipPrevious. In the music player (PAPlayer) SkipPrevious jumps to the previous track. For music it's usually obvious what the previous track is because you rarely listen to just one track. You're either listening to an album or a playlist, and in both cases it's obvious what the previous track is.

Video uses a player called DVDPlayer. In DVDPlayer SkipPrevious skips to the previous entry in the current playlist. There's no concept of an "album" for video, so a playlist is the only context where it's obvious what the previous video is. If you watch a single video, XBMC creates a "Now playing" playlist with just one entry for the video you're watching. hence SkipPrevious has nowhere to skip to.

JR
That makes sense and I understand what you are saying. The problem is that more and more people are using an actual control remote to drive XBMC. A remote control obviously has a lot less keys than a keyboard. The thought that comes to mind is that inconsistencies should be eliminated. Did you guys make the DVDplayer and Mplayer from the ground up? If so, is there anyway to make the DVDplayer act more like the PAPlayer in terms of the playlist? When playing season1 of tv show x load up the whole season as a playlist?

One workaround I can think of is using an external player that plays both music and videos. However, I'm sure you would like people to eventually abandon that idea as XBMC progresses. Are there any other workarounds?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Inconsistencies in Keymaps0