Lookng for audio explanation for once and for all
I have an apple tv1 with broadcom hd card, a samsung hd tv 1920x1080p, the latest xbmc nightly running, launcher 3.2.5. I have version 3.0.2 of apple os version. Furthermore, i have a sony receiver that is dolby digital and dts capable, with optical and coax input connectors. I have 5 speakers (no subwoofer) connected.

How do i configure this ideally? I have tried a lot of different settings, all with some drawbacks:
1> what setting to use in apple os config: dolby digital output. When turned on, the opening video of atv does produce sound on my tv via hdmi cable. It does also produce sound on the receiver, which was set to 'auto format decode', showing stereo signal input.
2> in xbmc, when turning on receiver supports dolby ac3', i get gun noise on dvd iso's. As most of my movies are 5.1 ac3, i'd like to play those dvds with full surround sound. My atv is connected to receiver with optical cable. I want to pass the audio there digitally.. Is this a thng with my sony receiver? Model is strdb930, i think it is 10+ years old, supports dolby digital and dts. Is there any way to get this working? Is it specific for my old receiver? Is the problem fixed when i passthru via hdmi to receiver then to tv?
3> dts support works fine, with digital settings.

what would you recommend? Buy a new receiver with hdmi support? Buy an atv2? A macmini? Change the settings? What do i do to have full sound support with xbmc, my number one mediacenter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lookng for audio explanation for once and for all0