WD raptor in htpc
I was starting to form a list of parts to get my build going based on eskro's i3 system. It seems as if hard drive prices have jumped a lot because of the flooding in thailand. I'm trying to build a futureproof system, but not break the bank at the same time.

I have a 74G 10000rpm WD Raptor drive that I pulled out of my desktop machine when I put an SSD in it. I understand that the raptor drive is kind of the opposite of what a htpc drive should be, but it has 2 qualities that I like: Fast and free. I have an 8 TB unraid server right now, so storage space on the htpc is not very important.

I was thinking of building the system with this drive, and possibly replacing it down the road if it's too loud or causes heat problems.

Thoughts?
worth a try, i dont see any issues there,,,
i don't see any problem using that raptor drive except for the heat that it will produce.
Surely it will be too noisy but worth a try or you could run XMBC on openelec from a USB stick...
Hmmm VelociRaptors are quiet... Raptors make a hell of a racket!

SSD hasnt gone up in price anywhere near as much as mechanical drives... grab one of them or go USB.

Keep the Raptor in the games rig.
I was somewhat concerned about the noise, just trying to think of what i had laying around. will xbmc constantly access the drive while watching a movie over a network, or will it spin down?
I have a 450gb Raptor in my HTPC. I bought it right before the hard drive shortage because I wasn't ready to commit to an SSD and plus it was a good deal "Shell Shocker" item on Newegg.com. It's really not that loud...my DVD drive is louder when it spins up, believe it or not. Plus it boots fast and loads those cached images pretty quick, too. I'd say it's a good SSD substitute if you don't want to shell out for one.
I thought the 450Gb was a Veloci-Raptor... trust me, a different ball park to the original Raptor! (which the 74Gb one is) That sounds like its trying to escape from your case... I have a Veloci in my games rig and they are indeed very quiet and very fast.
Geeba Wrote:I thought the 450Gb was a Veloci-Raptor... trust me, a different ball park to the original Raptor! (which the 74Gb one is) That sounds like its trying to escape from your case... I have a Veloci in my games rig and they are indeed very quiet and very fast.

Ah, I wasn't aware that there was a difference...thanks!
I've never really heard it outside of my gaming rig. not sure how it would compete with my tv's fan
Your TV has a fan?
yes, most (non crt) projection tv's do to cool the bulb. it's very quiet though, maybe just a touch louder than my dvr cable box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WD raptor in htpc0