• 3(current)
XBMC's Future Direction
Personally I'd still like to see transcoding built in - I think it would be especially good if your library was exposed and playable directly from the http server too.
pseudo7 Wrote:XBMC is moving to a more of a module based structure (via plugins) so parts of the system can be upgraded etc.

Currently addons are python? Which would make a plugin for streaming harder?

XBMC is a media center, admittedly useless without media however, you acquired the films, tv, music - you didn't buy them through the XBMC and they downloaded to your computer/storage device so surely the user would be responsible for getting the content to XBMC - up to a certain point.
Which brings it back round to XBMC is a media center with support for getting media through networks, hard drives and more. It tries it's best to get the media.

aptalca, it does sound like the plex model is a good fit for you.

If you have been dealing with technology for many years, you should see the direction it's moving in. Client / Server - CLOUD COMPUTING. Let me be a little more specific. Many clients / 1 server is the way we all should be looking. We should have one server to SERVER our many clients. One database / many clients. Make one change, add one file all the clients will have the same info at the same time. Makes things much easier. Yes I use both XBMC / Plex. However, my media center of choice is XBMC.

So I have 3 HTPC's and I have to make the same Move, Add, change on all three. Instead of just making the one Move, Add, change on the server.

Yes XBMC is a media center. However, it would be nice to have an XBMC media server as well.
preproman Wrote:If you have been dealing with technology for many years, you should see the direction it's moving in. Client / Server - CLOUD COMPUTING. Let me be a little more specific. Many clients / 1 server is the way we all should be looking. We should have one server to SERVER our many clients. One database / many clients. Make one change, add one file all the clients will have the same info at the same time. Makes things much easier. Yes I use both XBMC / Plex. However, my media center of choice is XBMC.

So I have 3 HTPC's and I have to make the same Move, Add, change on all three. Instead of just making the one Move, Add, change on the server.

Yes XBMC is a media center. However, it would be nice to have an XBMC media server as well.

Sorry if I have been unclear; I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a server, or that "cloud computing" isn't the future.

XBMC, the media center app, the one this thread (and forum) is about - it's future direction maybe be finding it's way onto more device and keeping as it is mostly. In my opinion being on android (therefore tv, mobile, tablet etc) is a important goal (toward spreading the client), perhaps more than a server as there isn't really any media centers on android and android adoption could be large.

A server is a different game, different app I would guess the complexities involved would be great.

However now I think i'll put my opinions to rest as they are just that, I have no developing skill to help further them.
Well done devs, nice work, really appreciate it (everyday)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
pseudo7 Wrote:Sorry if I have been unclear; I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a server, or that "cloud computing" isn't the future.

XBMC, the media center app, the one this thread (and forum) is about - it's future direction maybe be finding it's way onto more device and keeping as it is mostly. In my opinion being on android (therefore tv, mobile, tablet etc) is a important goal (toward spreading the client), perhaps more than a server as there isn't really any media centers on android and android adoption could be large.

A server is a different game, different app I would guess the complexities involved would be great.

However now I think i'll put my opinions to rest as they are just that, I have no developing skill to help further them.
Well done devs, nice work, really appreciate it (everyday)

@pseudo7

I'm with you man - I have not one ounce of development skills in my body. I understand now, spreading the app across as many platforms as possible. Got it..

My bad..
Haha, everyone wants different things out of XBMC...

For example, I see no point in a PVR - when you have sickbeard set up, the idea of using regular TV sounds asinine!

Things I would like to see:

* Multiple "movie" or "tv" libraries so stand up comedy/concerts/workout videos/etc could be separated without smart playlist hassles...

* Easy to use XBMC server, where the library is stored on the central server (but fanart/thumbs are still cached on the local machine)

* Import/export watched status (per user) to .nfo files

* Full decrypted bluray support, including menus

* Multiple users share a source; I'd like to have my account and my wife's account share the same library, just have separated watched status.

* Games library built-in, where games are just another source instead of using an addon

* Separate network/local libraries; browse through SMB shares when connected to network, be able to "copy movie to local" via context menu. This way you could browse your huge collection from your tiny iPad, and easily pick a couple of movies to copy over for the day

I realize that some of things I may never get, some may come much later, and some may come through the use of addons... in the meantime, I love XBMC, and I'm not likely to switch to Plex or anything else.
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
My thoughts here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=930...tcount=208

We shouldn't distinguish between the roles (server/client) as today Xbmc does both and there is no clear separation. And in the end, to a user it doesn't matter, the experience is what counts.
Not sure if I understand the Json-rpc API correctly, but wouldn't it be possible to use a configurable 'web server' using that API to push libraries to multiple machines?
I think there are some great ideas here, but I'm surprised that no one is discussing native support for HD audio codecs. Everyone is talking about 1080p and HD Video, but why does no one seem to care about HD Audio?

Setting-up and configuring external players is all well and good as a workaround, but I would have thought to have seen support or a heavier focus before now. I know Gnif is doing his best to work on the AE upgrade, but given the importance, it seems like more than one person might work on this. XBMC is first and foremost a home application and support for both HD Audio And Video, coupled with the amazing interface is what will push XBMC to higher-levels of adoption.
Ah, I though HD Audio was already in Eden... Hope to see that for sure!
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
All ideas are nice but since XBMC is all about great looks and catalogued media most users would benefit from centraly managed and served media data. All things have moved but DB is pretty much were Spiff has left it.

I would like to not have to use remote for media management as much as I don't want to play media with a mouse.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:I would like to not have to use remote for media management as much as I don't want to play media with a mouse.

Agreed.
deh2k7 Wrote:I think there are some great ideas here, but I'm surprised that no one is discussing native support for HD audio codecs. Everyone is talking about 1080p and HD Video, but why does no one seem to care about HD Audio?

Setting-up and configuring external players is all well and good as a workaround, but I would have thought to have seen support or a heavier focus before now. I know Gnif is doing his best to work on the AE upgrade, but given the importance, it seems like more than one person might work on this. XBMC is first and foremost a home application and support for both HD Audio And Video, coupled with the amazing interface is what will push XBMC to higher-levels of adoption.

I personally don't care much for HD Audio, because I simply couldn't tell the difference between DTS 5.1 and DTS-HD in a home setting. The jump from stereo (2.0) to 5.1 was a big one when DVDs came out. Because it gave you surround sound. For video, the jump from NTSC/PAL to DVD was easily noticeable by the average consumer, and so was the jump from DVD to HD. And as the TVs got larger, resolution differences became more and more noticeable.

But the jump from DTS to DTS-HD is more subtle and most average consumer cannot tell the difference (me included) in a home setting. It reminds me of the difference between CDs and records. My audiophile friends always tell me that records sound much much better than CDs and that CD quality is crap, but I honestly can't tell the difference "in a home setting". And in a home setting, I never crank it up high enough to notice it, otherwise my neighbors get really mad at me.

I think if I were to compare DTS and DTS-HD in a movie theater, I probably could tell the difference, but not in a home setting and neither would the average consumer.

On the other hand, doesn't xbmc already handle True HD by decoding it to LPCM 7.1 and sending it through hdmi? I realize for DTS-HD MA, the core DTS 5.1 track is bitstreamed, so there is no support for DTS-HD MA yet, but you still get multi channel audio although not lossless.
aptalca, you've hit upon one of my pet peeves. Double blind tests have demonstrated that it is impossible to tell the difference between DTS and DTS-HD (that's not quite true of DD and DD TrueHD, but it's close. You'll only hear a difference in a perfectly set up theater with exceptionally expensive speakers). The fact that people are hearing a difference almost always means one of two things. 1: Because of the way the content is authored, it plays different on their systems, and they are psyching themselves into believing that "different" equals "better." 2: It doesn't actually sound different at all, but placebos can be strong juju.

Mind you, I would personally love to see HD audio support, but it's only because I just bought a cool receiver and would like for all the nifty lights to light up.
I agree with natethomas, it's far from being a killer feature for me. And yes, I have the equipment to handle it but, really, if the extra info isn't put to good use (by our ears), what's the point?

If you have full bitrate DTS (the core at 1536kbps) you already have very good quality audio. It amounts to 256kbps per channel and we have to bear in mind that 256kbps are good enough for two channels to pass all but the most severe of double blind tests, with good codecs. The logic is probably not exactly as I describe it but, additionally, the LFE channel rarely has enough information to warrant the 256kbps, so if DTS is smart enough, there's even more bitrate available for actual content.

So... when is the release date for XBMC with HD Audio? Wink :p

Edit: if someone is interested in this subject, here are two good links:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/inde...opic=65936
http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3324.pdf

The second one is a PDF report on a scientific test conducted to compare different multichannel codecs. It shows that at full bitrate DTS is pretty much transparent.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Because there is a diminishing return with HD audio. I've done the blind tests. I honestly can't tell the difference between my 5.1 AC-3 and all the fancy stuff. Plus, a 1080P TV costs how much? It'd be that much and more to get a proper 7.2 setup.

Plus a LOT of people have voiced support for dual audio out and are doing just that.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC's Future Direction0