Help me turn my PC into an HTPC please?
Hey, got a pre-made HP PC for free ($600 PC). I don't really like pre-built but whatever, it was free. Where should I begin with improving it? Here are the specs copied from Amazon:

HP Pavilion Slimline s5310f

Motherboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...ct=4107918

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual-Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics integrated graphics

RAM: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3

Hard Drive: 640 GB SATA

Case: Size (LWH): 15.91 inches, 4.43 inches, 12.24 inches Weight: 9.2 pounds

I want to turn this into an HTPC do dual-boot XBMC and Windows 7. Not as important to me, but if it could play games like Skyrim on medium graphics that would be nice too.

This is my first HTPC, sorry if I don't understand something.

Biggest deciding factor is the price!
Just get a low profile GT210 and that is much all you can do!

Biggest deciding factor is the price! well you got it for free.... My friend has this computer too... he added a GT210.
Beer40oz Wrote:Just get a low profile GT210 and that is much all you can do!

Biggest deciding factor is the price! well you got it for free.... My friend has this computer too... he added a GT210.

By that I meant I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount. I'm willing to spend up to around $200 on it. Are there any good motherboards you can recommend within this price range? The one inside is a micro-ATX. I want it to be able to play 720p and at least one HDMI slot.
one of this should be a good addition- MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:one of this should be a good addition- MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Assuming I go with that, what is a good GPU to use? is the GT 210 good enough?
king_cooper Wrote:Assuming I go with that, what is a good GPU to use? is the GT 210 good enough?
you seem to have casual gaming in mind. i'm recommending this instead- HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 1GB
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:you seem to have casual gaming in mind. i'm recommending this instead- HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 1GB

Looks great, thanks! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me turn my PC into an HTPC please?0