Squeezebox Player
Hi all

I'm quite new to XBMC but I absolutely love it.
Thanks to all of you who created such a nice piece of work Big Grin

I was wondering if it could be possible to have XBMC acting as a Squeezebox Player?

The Server part of Squeezebox is open source and there are other projects that created players.
I'm not an experienced programmer but have some time to give it a try.

Unfortunately I have no clue where to start or even if it's a good idea...
Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Cheers
That would be a great feature!
I have 3 Squeezeboxes around the house, and with this I could play the same music all over the house with player syncronisation.

But I have no clue on programming, so I cannot help you Sad
My Livingroom - Samsung LE46A656 - Yamaha RX-V2067 - Klipsch - DIY Audiopulse 12" Subwoofers (Norwegian thread)

HTPC: Win7 + XBMC, Silverstone LC17, Asus P5K-E, Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @3ghz, 40GB SSD, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5450
SERVER: ubuntu 10.10, Fractal Design Array R2, ZOTAC M880GITX-A, Corsair 4GB, Intel SSD 40GB, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB (x5 in RAID5)
Yes, that's maybe the most important thing for the user: It would allow to use it as multiroom player with other squeezeboxes.

It's kind of a different story but in the XBMC music library the most important band is missing: AC/DC. Squeezebox server has no problems Huh
Maybe I could resolve the problem on this way (maybe a bit overkill just to solve this issue but as you wrote there will be other advantages too) Smile
Now that Logitech released the Logitech Media Server 7.7 (Replacement for Squeezebox Server) it has built in UPnP/DLNA support. This means you can play your library from within XBMC by setting up a Music Source as UPnP to your Server. This should get you your missing music.

The main thing that is missing is the ability to synchronize with the SB hardware. If someone could get that working, my setup would be complete.

You could try to contact the creator of Whitebear Media Server... http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread...=whitebear

He may be able to get you what you need to be able to make XBMC appear as a player within LMS so that we can synchronize.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your suggestions Smile
I wrote him an email.
I've just installed LMS on my laptop and added it as UPnP source to my music library.
XBMC has no problem browsing the library but isn't able to play songs because of codec problems. (The same happens when I add MythMusic UPnP source.)
The dev of Whitebear told me that XBMC can't play L16 PCM which could be the problem of this issue. He's written a plugin that allows playing such streams. So this problem souldn't create much headache anymore Smile

The second task I'll have to do is adding a new LMS source type that implements SlimProto [1] in XBMC. (Just as the MythTV source for videos.)

Any thoughts about this or maybe I should move the htread to the dev forum?

[1] http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sl...CPProtocol
Best bet would be to move to a dev forum.

Are looking at this with the mindset of changes in XBMC, or for creating a plugin? Best bet would be creating a plugin.
I will post in the dev forum. Thanks!

As you may already have noticed, I have no idea about the XBMC internals yet.
But a plugin seems to be more flexibel and as long as it's possible to create a new music source it seems to be the better solution.
Powderking Wrote:The second task I'll have to do is adding a new LMS source type that implements SlimProto [1] in XBMC. (Just as the MythTV source for videos.)

Any thoughts about this or maybe I should move the htread to the dev forum?

[1] http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sl...CPProtocol

This should be in the core. This way you can select that slim protocol to add as source. An addon isn't a good solution.

but maybe it is easier to post you debug log and see why UPNP isn't working. Or you can also try FTP/SMB...

Some half-coocked Feature Requests:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/2974
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12020
Unfortunately I can't post the log before tomorrow. But soon as I'll get home I'll do that.

If an addon can't make the slim protocol to be chosen then I for sure have to put it into the core.
Thanks for your hint!

As I've never contributed to such a project I don't know what I should do with the tracs you've posted Blush

Maybe we can move te discussion to the dev forum where I've opened a new thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114290
Nothing to worry about: those tickets are just bad examples off similar feature request, ignored by all devs...

So it's important to create a good FR and using the forum to gather info and opinions is the way to go...

Success!
Quote:This should be in the core. This way you can select that slim protocol to add as source. An addon isn't a good solution

Why wouldn't an add-on be a good solution? XBMC cannot register itself as a player within LMS, so you cannot sync with a squeezebox player. This is a key feature that I have seen a few requests for.

The ability to play from UPnP is great, but I still find myself using a netbook w/Win7 running Squeezeplay so that I can sync to the Squeezebox upstairs.

****EDIT**** I misread your statement... I thought you were saying that it is currently in the core. Sorry ****
Robotica Wrote:Nothing to worry about: those tickets are just bad examples off similar feature request, ignored by all devs...

So it's important to create a good FR and using the forum to gather info and opinions is the way to go...

Success!

If I get it right I only have to create a FR if I don't want to make the change on my own?
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but thinking this through....

with XBMC as a sync'd SB player, does that mean I could use the XBMC gui as a controller for my physical SB3 device? navigate the library, start and control playback etc via XBMC with audio output synced on my SB3?

I currently favour SB3 for sound quality, but love the XBMC visuals for music library and now-playing.

thanks
Dave
HP Proliant Micorserver | ATI Radeon 5450 | El-cheapo USB Soundcard | Pioneer PDP-507XD
Squeezebox 3 (modded) | Arcam AVR350 | Arcam A85 | Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII | Dynaudio Focus 200C | M&K K4 Tripoles | BK-Elec XXLS-400 Sub with Antimode
Powderking Wrote:If I get it right I only have to create a FR if I don't want to make the change on my own?

Creating a FR doesn't mean anything with volantary software development. Patches do mean something....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Squeezebox Player0