Setting up XBMC and Mysql for painless upgrades
Ah, one thing that's crossed my mind. The version of XBMC I'm running on the ATV is a pre-11 Eden from June. Was pathsubstitution supported then? Should I update to the latest nighly? And if so, is it easy to do!
I would update. A lot of fixes since that version.
Finchy Wrote:Yes, I did exit XBMC and reload it but it hasn't picked them up.

I'm wondering.... the sources.xml created by ATV shows;

PHP Code:
<sources>
    <
programs>
        <default 
pathversion="1"></default>
    </
programs>
    <
video>
        <default 
        <
source>
            <
name>My Current TV Shows</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/My Current TV Shows/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>Latest movies to watch</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/New Movies To Watch/Latest movies to watch/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>New Movies to Watch Other</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/New Movies To Watch/New Movies to Watch - Foreign/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/New Movies To Watch/New Movies to Watch - Older/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>My Favourite Movies</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/My Favourite Movies/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>Bond Movies</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/Bond Movies/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>My Movie Archive</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/Modern Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/50&apos;s &amp; earlier Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/60&apos;s Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/80&apos;s Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/70&apos;s Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/90&apos;s Movies/</path>

</source>
    </
video>
    <
music>
        <default 
    </
music>
    <
pictures>
        <default 
    </
pictures>
    <
files>
        <default 
    </
files>
</
sources

Should I include the
PHP Code:
<source pathversion="1"
part in the path substitution in advancedsettings.xml?

Nope, shouldn't need to - not sure if it would even accept it. What you have should be fine.

Edit: As a matter of habit, I would try to use an IP address whenever possible.
DLeavy Wrote:Nope, shouldn't need to - not sure if it would even accept it. What you have should be fine.

Edit: As a matter of habit, I would try to use an IP address whenever possible.

As a matter of habit with a DHCP server I never use an IP when possible.

Do you go to google.com, or do you insist on 74.125.225.48?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Thanks guys. OK, I've updated to the latest nightly (4/12/11), which was painless enough (thank goodness for WinSCP and Putty over wireless!)

I'll leave XBMC updating/scanning for a while and see if it starts doing the thumbnails, but there's nothing in the shared thumbnail folder yet. Is is likely I'll need to remove the sources and re-add them for it to fully rescan?
Finchy Wrote:Thanks guys. OK, I've updated to the latest nightly (4/12/11), which was painless enough (thank goodness for WinSCP and Putty over wireless!)

I'll leave XBMC updating/scanning for a while and see if it starts doing the thumbnails, but there's nothing in the shared thumbnail folder yet. Is is likely I'll need to remove the sources and re-add them for it to fully rescan?

I'm a bit confused as to how you are implementing this - you started scanning, and are changing options, then continuing to scan new sources? Or stopping scans, rebooting, then continuing?

It would be best to make sure everything's working, then scan. Or scan everything locally, make the path substitution change and move your thumbnails folder to the new location.

@darkscout - if I can save the ATV from having to resolve the name to an ip address everytime, I'll take it. Granted, if your ip addresses are changing, best to use the network name, but if you know what you're doing, it shouldn't be an issue.
Each time I've made a change I've exited XBMC and restarted it. I had continued to add the other folders as it is now picking up the media, just not doing anything with the thumbs.
darkscout Wrote:As a matter of habit with a DHCP server I never use an IP when possible.

Do you go to google.com, or do you insist on 74.125.225.48?

The suggestion for ips instead of names is more about preventing netbios lookups, not dns lookups. Because netbios in windows networks is sometimes wacky with xbmc ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Crap! I've deleted all the SQL DB and XBMC user to start again and am having a problem with MySQL. In the command prompt, after doing;

PHP Code:
CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY '****';
CREATE DATABASE xbmc_music CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci;
CREATE DATABASE xbmc_video CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci

When I then do
PHP Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%'

I get an error 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@% (using password: YES)

Any ideas? The root user password is definately correct.
Because you're connecting as root from what appears to be not localhost.

Are you connected to localhost?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Yes. I was logging in on the local machine and using root/localhost. I'm still trying to get my head around SQL so apologies if I appear dim....! What I did have (when I connected to MySQL via SQLyog) was two root accounts; root@localhost and root@%. Am I correct in thinking that the root@% was created when I installed MySQL because I selected remote access?

How do I differentiate between root@localhost & root@% when I try to connect?

I resolved it by uninstalling MySQL and reinstalling (as in I'm starting again, again!) but would like to know for my own learning! I need to start learning SQL for work so it's been great using this to get started! Smile
I did mine at the same time. But make sure you have your Thumbs folder on a HDD that is shared (easy mistake to make). Mine all works now anyway
Setting up MySQL sync and shared fanart was fairly easy for me last night, but I did run into a couple minor issues with my 2 ATV2's.

First, when exporting the video library "as a single file" it still creates a whole directory structure that you have to re-import. Not exactly sure what was going on there, but it all worked eventually.

You need to reboot after uploading your advancedsettings.xml file (that wasn't in the writeups, and while it's kind of obvious it didn't occur to me at first.)

When accessing the thumbnail share on a Windows network you may need to use smb://username:password@ip_address/thumbnail_folder. I shared a folder on my Windows Server 2008 (which is also where I installed MySQL) and blindly followed the wiki writeup before I realized that I needed username and password.

Other than that it seems to work pretty well.
I'm still struggling with mine. I've tried setting it up on my Win 7 PC to check that it's not the MySQL DB that's causing the problem but it's not working on that. It's fine without the advancedsettings.xml file in there, but as soon as I add it and reboot XBMC just hangs.

Getting really fed up with it now. Sad
I think with the beta1 release (imminenet) we're going to see a lot of broken mysql messages. Even with permission changes the update code is not robust - I get billions of errors and while the data sort of appears to be in the mysql at the end, nothing works in XBMC without big hangs and a spew of log errors.

I reckon a simple external-to-xbmc mysql update script would be a much better way to go....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up XBMC and Mysql for painless upgrades0