• 5(current)
Buffering issues - atv2 - wired
markiz Wrote:Gspot may be able to tell you, or VLC can open ISOs and it has info about the framerate under 'View>Stream and Media information.' PAL is 25fps and NTSC is 29.970fps or 23.976fps.

I have more than 100 PAL isos. And they are all saying "buffering" all the time. I know that I've had one or two movies playing without any buffering problems, but I can't rememer which ones :-(

25FPS. so they are pal. and each season is 9 discs each and i have no issues what so ever playing them on ATV2 with eden beta, with wired connection over SMB.
Ok. Thanks for testing. I've also got a wired connection over SMB.

What kind of logs can I submit to pinpoint the problem?
markiz Wrote:Ok. Thanks for testing. I've also got a wired connection over SMB.

What kind of logs can I submit to pinpoint the problem?

not really sure just have a look thru your xbmc.log and see if theres anything in there? put debugging on.
I was experiencing buffering/stuttering when playing HD content, only during periods of high visual detail and therefore bitrate.

First I tried an update, then upgraded to Eden, then tried everything in the FAQ (generate thumbs, coax, 16bit, etc, etc) and nothing fixed the problem.

Then I SSH in and "reboot". No more problems. Maybe that should be added to the end of that FAQ troubleshooting section??
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...choppiness
beattz Wrote:I was experiencing buffering/stuttering when playing HD content, only during periods of high visual detail and therefore bitrate.

First I tried an update, then upgraded to Eden, then tried everything in the FAQ (generate thumbs, coax, 16bit, etc, etc) and nothing fixed the problem.

Then I SSH in and "reboot". No more problems. Maybe that should be added to the end of that FAQ troubleshooting section??
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...choppiness

Please explain how you did this process. I would like to try this. I tried changing to 16 bit and coax, now it's stuttering really bad.
Thanks
Did you try everything in the "Performance: video buffering, stuttering, choppiness" section at that FAQ link?

If so, then you need to open Terminal/command prompt and SSH into your ATV and reboot it:
ssh [email protected]
password (e.g. alpine)
reboot

Good luck, let us know if it solves your problems!
beattz Wrote:I was experiencing buffering/stuttering when playing HD content, only during periods of high visual detail and therefore bitrate.

"Have you tried turning it off then on?" is the first step in troubleshooting any computing problem and should not need to be listed in the faq.
2 atv2 systems, hardwired on 1gb network. Both have stutter problems with mkv 720 files SINCE beta2! All was fine with beta1
Funny enough: beta 2 on my ipad1 using wifi on the same network with THE Same files werk fine.. So its def the atv2 version only.
Openelec with beta2 on the same network on à pc works smooth we well.
hey guys I was getting the same buffering problems...at the time I was wired to the APTV2..Eden-B2...Connect to my old Linksys 54GS..and even all the settings you guys provided nuttin helped... So i said nuttin to lose lets go wireless..and Low and behold no buffering whats so ever..I try the same videos that i was buffering with and now all is good...So I would check you settings on your router..if i was you guys Smile
Tell me; why should I mess up my router network settings just because something changed in XBMC?
All builds (even nightly ones) before beta2 where fine on my ATV2.. since beta2 its messed up. So please let us find a software fix!
NB.. there is a reason why I use a wired network over wireless; wireless is not an option for me so he, no fix for me Wink
Ned Scott Wrote:update to the latest nightly build

Still buffering? Try sharing the media on another device, like a computer

Still buffering? Try setting the audio settings in XBMC to use optical/coax (even if you don't use optical coax and are just using HDMI).

Still buffering? give us a debug log

thank you for this post,thought i had bought a pup with all the constant start stop of most stuff i was watching, just done the audio change and didnt buffer once in the 15 minutes i was watching/switching between various streams , although the screen kind of judders for a 100th of a millisecond, previously i would have been pressing play/pause button

many many thanks
g-off Wrote:"Have you tried turning it off then on?" is the first step in troubleshooting any computing problem and should not need to be listed in the faq.
Emphasis added.
My issue is that it has to be the last step, considering one would already be in the depths of a troubleshooting process if they have gone so far as to read that FAQ.

Furthermore, several times I rebooted using my ATV's remote, at various points throughout the process, which did not solve my problems. By employing the command line "reboot" method, my problems were solved, leading me to believe there might be some other services that get reset by such a manual reboot.

If my experience is isolated, I see no point in adding it to the FAQ, but if it helps others, then I don't see why it shouldn't be added, particularly considering that all the other tips provided are accessed through the GUI rather than the command line.
I just bought and jailbroke ATV2 yesterday and installed XBMC. I was exploring the settings and changed the audio output from optical to HDMI, and right after that I started noticing buffering issues. I came here and found this topic and just wanted to chime in with my experience. I switched back to the old setting and the buffering issues went away. This is on a wired setup, sharing via SMB. After testing with various files, I can play any 720P files up to about 4.5GB or so with no problem. I tried a 19GB 1080P, and that one did still suffer from stuttering/buffering issues (no surprise), but it was noticeably better with the audio output set to optical. FWIW.
beattz Wrote:Emphasis added.
My issue is that it has to be the last step, considering one would already be in the depths of a troubleshooting process if they have gone so far as to read that FAQ.

Furthermore, several times I rebooted using my ATV's remote, at various points throughout the process, which did not solve my problems. By employing the command line "reboot" method, my problems were solved, leading me to believe there might be some other services that get reset by such a manual reboot.

If my experience is isolated, I see no point in adding it to the FAQ, but if it helps others, then I don't see why it shouldn't be added, particularly considering that all the other tips provided are accessed through the GUI rather than the command line.

I did add it to the troubleshooting section just after that post - just for shits and giggles.

Quote:Troubleshooting
Have you tried switching it off then on again?
OK.. well the solution is indeed as posted before:
SSH to your ATV2 and execute the reboot command.

After that all videos that had issues are fine now.
And before we get the lame you should have pulled the plug first before posting command: I had reset the ATV numerous times using the holding menu and play on the remote option. But that apparently gives a different result then the reboot command.. WEIRD but problem solved!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering issues - atv2 - wired0