• 3(current)
Buffering issues - atv2 - wired
g-off Wrote:ATV1 != ATV2

The broadcom card is a commercial product that is well documented.

We are pretty lucky that it can do h264 at all. It is only through the hard work of the devs (Davilla et al) that they managed to reverse engineer the hardware decoding API as far as they have. Potentially the hardware has all the goodies to do other formats but Apple in their typically Apple way have gone all out to keep it a secret from evil people who try to sully the perfection of their products.

To be fair, it's not that they've gone out of their way to keep this info secret.. there's just no motivation for them to document and publish it.
You mean much in the same way they don't actively try and stop people from jailbreaking their devices or even opening them up? (Pentalobe - i'm looking at you!)

Do you see any video players on IOS devices that can use the graphics hardware legitimately for non-apple approved content? There is no access through the SDK. People would pay the Appstore and apple handsomely for that capability.

There is a saying that you should never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. I don't think there are too many stupid people at Apple.

Not that this has anything to do with the thread at hand Wink
Actually, there is a way to access hw decoding with a pure iOS app... BUT the only content that will play is mov videos that have been encoded to Apple spec. All others need not apply. It's a very high level API, the player. You pass it an URL and it handles everything else.
g-off Wrote:You mean much in the same way they don't actively try and stop people from jailbreaking their devices or even opening them up? (Pentalobe - i'm looking at you!)

Do you see any video players on IOS devices that can use the graphics hardware legitimately for non-apple approved content? There is no access through the SDK. People would pay the Appstore and apple handsomely for that capability.

There is a saying that you should never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. I don't think there are too many stupid people at Apple.

Not that this has anything to do with the thread at hand Wink

They patch jailbreak exploits because they are also security exploits. Jailbreaking also makes it painfully easy to pirate App Store software. Just because Apple doesn't go out of their way to support the hackers and DIY'ers doesn't mean they are acting maliciously. They sell a product that is intended to do certain things. They don't have to support us just because we want to mod these things to go beyond that.

Now, if they acted like Sony, and went after jailbreak devs and sued them, and websites that published the jailbreak methods and software, I could see your point. So far Apple has not been unreasonable in their actions regarding jailbreaking.
No fair bringing Sony into it. That is like saying Mugabe is not as bad as Pol Pot.
I will say that Apple has done plenty to piss me off, and I certainly don't always agree with the way they go about iOS :)
Change the DNS on the ATV2 to .8.8.8.8

Settings>General>Network>Configure TCP/IP>Manually
Change DNS Address to 008 008 008 008
stormwasher Wrote:Change the DNS on the ATV2 to .8.8.8.8

Settings>General>Network>Configure TCP/IP>Manually
Change DNS Address to 008 008 008 008

Which will do nothing for local network file access...
My buffering issue was resolved by doing the below:

Configure Audio Output in XBMC > System > Settings > System to use Optical/Coax, even if you are using HDMI. If this fixes your buffering issue, please let us know on the forums.
Set to 16-bit audio, Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and set it to "16 bit".
Turn off thumbnails, XBMC > Settings > Video > File and deselect 'generate thumbnails'.
Disable playback sync, XBMC > Settings > Video > Playback > turn off "Sync playback to display". <-- This one fixed my issue.

the above i found on xbmc wiki ios specific FAQ
nero12 Wrote:My buffering issue was resolved by doing the below:

Configure Audio Output in XBMC > System > Settings > System to use Optical/Coax, even if you are using HDMI. If this fixes your buffering issue, please let us know on the forums.
Set to 16-bit audio, Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and set it to "16 bit".
Turn off thumbnails, XBMC > Settings > Video > File and deselect 'generate thumbnails'.
Disable playback sync, XBMC > Settings > Video > Playback > turn off "Sync playback to display". <-- This one fixed my issue.

the above i found on xbmc wiki ios specific FAQ

Thanks. But it didn't solve my problem. I changed everything except "generate thumbnails" since I couldn't find it.

Did my fileinfo help? Do I need to provide something else? Is it possible to donate money to fix this issue?
Not tested extensively, but I tried some settings changes last night and was able to watch a documentary that was previously buffering every 2 minutes with a pause.

My setup is over wifi, got the atv2 in my bedroom so wired connection is not an option right now, title being watched was via icefilms, which worked perfectly when 1st installed a week ago with standard xbmc install, I since learned what a nightly build is and updated after I started getting buffering issues on friday night, wasn't sure if this was a server issue due to demand at 1st so tried some obscure movie and even a wired connection downstairs with no improvement.

My buffering issue was resolved by changing:

Configure Audio Output in XBMC > System > Settings > System to use Optical/Coax, even if you are using HDMI.

PS. good to have rediscovered XBMC, I've been a big fan of this app since modding the 1st xbox with the 29 wires method!
Those settings are suggested in the FAQ
i was experiencing stuttering 720p video (every 5-10 seconds) and occassional buffer issues. fixed by:
Configure Audio Output in XBMC > System > Settings > System to use Optical/Coax, even if you are using HDMI.
Sad 
I have tried all the suggestions in the faq and have even ran a network cable. I still have choppiness and audio drop outs. The only thing that made it any better was the network cable.

I have two other systems running XBMC. One is a Revo box hooked up via a network cable and the other is a HP TouchSmart running over wireless. Both work flawlessly.

All of these systems get the videos from my main pc.

The ATV is running Eden beta, fresh out of the box on Christmas morning with IOS 4.3.

Everything seems fine except for 720p videos.

I don't know what else to try.

Any thoughts?
KODI running on...
Acer Aspire Revo | 2 x iPad Mini
HP Touchsmart | AppleTV | Raspberry Pi
I had many problems of buffer with my ATV2 wired to a Time Capsule 2 TB. I partially solved this changing to a wireless connection (strange but true), but there is a bug somewhere that cause slow connection ad buffer issue between Time capsule and XBMC on ATV2. Infact, i test the Firecore Media Player and in Wi-fi, the same movies that buffer with XBMC, now go without problems.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering issues - atv2 - wired0