[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!
Question 
As apart of the revamp for the XBMC Wiki I'm putting a call out to help update our wiki FAQs. We need help compiling what questions are frequently asked. So to all the question askers and the question answerers: this here be a brainstormin' thread!

The following wiki FAQs need to be re-done. Click on an FAQ link to be taken to the discussion for that FAQ:
XBMC general FAQ (applies for all or most platforms)
XBMC for Mac specific FAQ
XBMC for Windows specific FAQ [THIS THREAD]
XBMC for Linux specific FAQ & XBMC Live specific FAQ

List the questions you come across the most or that you think people ask (or things they should ask) when it comes to XBMC for Windows.

Don't worry about providing answers at this point, but if you want to, or at least link to something that does, feel free to do so. List questions, or just topics, or even just talk about what you think the FAQ should and shouldn't include.

[Once we've got something to start with, then we'll work finalizing what questions to have, and then finally the answers.]
Here are some from the top of my head:
Where is my DB folder?
How can I use my remote?
Where is my log?
I've gotta say that XBMC with W7 64 bit has been challenging. Formatting your files is all important, if they're not named correctly it's a mess. I spent days renaming and refoldering all my files.

Now If I just had an RF remote that actually worked with this program I'd be a happy man, but what else would I be doing for hours and hours and hours on end.

W7 security is also a NIGHTMARE! What do you want to share, who do you want to share it with, what rights do they have, are they part of the Homegroup or have you created a workgroup, etc. etc.

Do yourself a favor before you go down this road, consider running XBMC on anything other than W7.
I signed up to the Wiki to take a look at the MySQL Databases section that I just setup, but am a bit nervous about putting in wrong information, so left it for now.

All additions or edits, are they moderated/checked before inserting?

If so, I have an off-the-cuff suggestion for this in advancedsettings.xml -
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...scanner.3E

Really needs to be changed to a more descriptive explanation -
Code:
<videoscanner>
<ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors> -- Set to true to suppress the continue scanning upon error dialogue box and automatically answer with Yes.
</videoscanner>
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
DejaVu Wrote:I signed up to the Wiki to take a look at the MySQL Databases section that I just setup, but am a bit nervous about putting in wrong information, so left it for now.

All additions or edits, are they moderated/checked before inserting?

If so, I have an off-the-cuff suggestion for this in advancedsettings.xml -
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...scanner.3E

Really needs to be changed to a more descriptive explanation -
Code:
<videoscanner>
<ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors> -- Set to true to suppress the continue scanning upon error dialogue box and automatically answer with Yes.
</videoscanner>

Right now all edits are instantly live. Since there's so few edits each day, I'll normally check what's been changed out of curiosity and to watch out for spam/vandalism, but other than that most people don't routinely check general pages.

I wouldn't worry about it. Because every revision of a page is saved, we can always fix things that get broken or are not the best change. Wikipedia has a philosophy to help people in this situation, and they call it "Be Bold".

You can also make your own "sandbox" page (also called user drafts) in your userspace. Just cut and paste the wikicode from a page you want to edit, make a duplicate page at say http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...tt/Sandbox (for example)

You just go to your userpage, put a slash at the end of the url, a page name, and you'll be able to make a new page. We do this all the time on Wikipedia as a way to work on things before they go live, or if one isn't sure it should be a page yet. Then you can post on the forums for feedback (since the XBMC Wiki talk pages are -very- low traffic) and be like "hey, what does everyone think of this?".

Eventually we'll have some guidelines for the XBMC Wiki that will also give people better direction of how pages should look. Right now it's kind of guess work mixed with seeing what sticks. I figure a lot of people feel like what you've said just now, where they're not sure what they should do.

And that advancedsettings.xml page is a nightmare! I hope to actually break it up into more than one page, since it's so huge. I've applied my own take of your suggestion for that one entry. Let me know what you think of it, or feel free to keep working with the wording directly. It's the wiki thing to do :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!0