How to install nightlies?
I've tried searching the forums and manual but there's no answer. I have a perfectly working Dharma version but I want to install the latest nightly for windows. Can you tell me how I should go about? Should I uninstall XBMC and install the nightly? Or install them in separate directories? Or should I overwrite the Dharma install directory with the latest nightly?

Surprising that no one has asked this question before!!!
Star 
I think this question has been answered before in different ways, the forum search tools are not the best; some users suggest google does a better job.

At this point in the nightly build, I'm not sure how backward compatible pre-Eden XBMC is with Dharma 10.1 (I had some early on hickups) and a lot of the plugins have 'Eden' specific add-ons. If you have no intention of returning to Dharma, then a straight install might work, but don't count on your plugins to function and there has been many 'skin changes' to accommodate Eden so count on this if you're not using Confluence which is pre-installed.

My suggestion (using win7) would be to go to your C:\Program Files (x86) and rename your entire XBMC folder to XBMC_Dharma

then go to C:\Users\Your_Name\AppData\Roaming and rename the XBMC folder to XBMC_Dharma.

Install the nightly of XBMC...

Once you are satisfied of solid install and like the new features... you can copy your Dharma Roaming folder to the correct 'name' (duplicate copy would be advisable) and see how your set-up handles Eden.

Everything can be -undone with a simple rename of the two above folders.
Thanks for the reply. So will the nightly version will automatically detect and import the existing library or will I have to rescan it?
It will have to rescrape if you follow the method above as there will be no library that the nightly version can see. If you export the library in your current version before installing the nightly version then you can import the library into the nightly version and reduce the time that it takes to rescrape.

You can either export to a single file or separate files. Have a look at the wiki to see which method will work better for you.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
I would just make a copy of the folder instead of renaming it. That way you don't have to rescrape or reset anything up, but if the nightly breaks something or you want to go back, you have a backup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to install nightlies?0