Simple set up
Really what you guys spend on cheap ass remote I can pay for a tablet easy

70 dollars on ebay today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viewsonic-v210-W...415563c93b

XBMC CONTROLS

I bought three of these. One sits in my living room on a dock the other is in my shagroom jk bedroom and another is located flush in the wall in my hallway. I can access any XBMC box from any remote. I could have spent way more bothering with remotes and ir not to mention the crap load of issues with setting them up.

Tablet is cheap compared to a pronto or harmony plus fully expandable...Another thing is I can purchase another one and have it working within 10 minutes of arriving just a thought Maybe its me or you have way to much cash to buy junky remotes jk hope it helps.

BTW the remote you are mentioning being in the US sucks ass friend. Look it up all kinds of weird issues from not working on your lap to completely DOA.
MCE remote can be got for as little as £5. I use the ps3 remote which cost £10. You don't need to get a tablet just to use it for a remote.

But... if you really want to be one of THOSE guys that over spends for the sake of it, then go right ahead.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Death-Axe Wrote:MCE remote can be got for as little as £5. I use the ps3 remote which cost £10. You don't need to get a tablet just to use it for a remote.

But... if you really want to be one of THOSE guys that over spends for the sake of it, then go right ahead.

ARE you serious......why even say anything like that...So what i spent 70ish dollars per tablet that will give me alot more options than a ps3 remote....i was able too do this post on a tablet ...enjoy your ps3 remote...good grief

Positive contributions go a long way. I am trying something different than ive seen on here....Guys like myself is what makes XBMC keep getting better and new options comes from doing things outside the box.
Could always try FLIRC, was designed to take the LIRC (and therefore hard parts) out of remote controls. Could use nearly any remote you already have or purchase a cheap harmony (300i is good)
Using a simply GUI you press the button on the remote then press what key you want it to be (e.g. Info on the remote to the letter I on keyboard) Once programmed you can plug flirc into anything as it appears to the host machine as a USB keyboard.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Flirc
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103350

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
XBMC_FREAK Wrote:ARE you serious......why even say anything like that...So what i spent 70ish dollars per tablet that will give me alot more options than a ps3 remote....i was able too do this post on a tablet ...enjoy your ps3 remote...good grief

Positive contributions go a long way. I am trying something different than ive seen on here....Guys like myself is what makes XBMC keep getting better and new options comes from doing things outside the box.

You where suggesting for him to get a tablet, and he only needs a remote. It would be a waste of money to just get a tablet to use as a remote.

Now, if he was asking about a device to use as a remote and to browse the web on, that would be different.

It's pointless throwing more advanced tech for such a small requirement.

See I make suggestions based on the users requirements, I don't try and sell him a spaceship when he just wants a car.

Not trying to be insulting to you, so don't get mad bro.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
rocks911 Wrote:i have played with xbmc/eventghost/snapstream firefly remote control for a week or so now and have come to the conclusion that i dont have the time or knowledge base to tweak this to a level where it is reliable and usable, especially to my wife.

Right... you really listened to his needs....Death-Axe hes having problems setting up a dang ir remote, hello? I offered an easier solution since all he needs to do is install an addon.

Some people want to be right so badly they miss the point entirely.

If entering a wifi key,opening ie or firefox,entering an ip is considered advance tech damn!......I have no more to say to you!
In comparison to a TV remote, yes I would say a tablet with a browser is more advanced. would you not?
There are several options available, many of which are "right". It really just depends on what your budget is.

I use XBMC Remote for Android (free) to control my XBMC box in my media room, living room and AppleTV2 on the patio. It works very well, and can be set up in a few minutes. And, best of all, it does not require line-of-sight and is not subject to RF interference.

I have used SoulMote (free) and Constellation (free) on the iPad, and of these two I prefer Constellation. It seems to do a very nice job of leveraging the extra screen real estate, and again connects to wifi for almost-anywhere control of XBMC. Several users prefer XBMC Commander, but I like the price of SoulMote and Constellation better.

I bought a Harmony 550 remote several years ago, and was able to get it to minimally control XBMC. But this took a fair amount of tweaking and was only possible thanks to the users on this forum that shared their experiences. This does require a certain amount of technical aptitude, but thankfully there are lots of people willing to help.

While I don't personally have experience with this yet, another option is the CEC-USB adapter from Pulse Eight ($50), which lets you use your television remote to control XBMC [http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...pter.aspx]. Based on what I've seen in the forums, this isn't quite a turnkey solution, and still requires some technical aptitude to get working properly.

Maybe it would be helpful, Rocks911, for us to know if you already have a smartphone (model/OS), tablet or spaceship so we better know which solutions to steer you towards.

Cheers, and best of luck!
GR8RTek
Save the following code as XBMC.xml in your C:\ProgramData\SnapStream\Firefly\Profiles directory. Restart the machine and feel free to tweak the button mappings below. You'll know its working when the vol buttons adjust the XBMC volume and not the global volume
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86421&page=2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simple set up0